Depth guage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryIra

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am trying to hone my sharpening skills and am in need of a depth guage tool. I have a husqvarna roller filing guide but the depth guage tool is clearly mismatched to my chain. I am running woodland pro 18”, 20RC chain with 72 drive links. 50 guage .325.

When I line up the guide the depth guage portion is no where near the rakers.

just sharpened my father in laws chain (different size) with the same tool and it lines up fine.

Is there more than one guide for that size chain?

Think about this look at a spark plug gap it’s .025”. I look down the bar from the nose lining up the teeth and look at the distance from the top of the tooth to the top of the raker. Remember the sparkplug gap.

There is a husky roller guide for .325 and one for 3/8 chain. Pics would help. Looks like the blue one is for 3/8 the silver is for .325. Since it worked on your father in laws do you know if it was .325 or 3/8

I used it on my husky 3/8 full comp chain. I didnt like it at all.

Im always on the hunt for new ideas for depth gauge tools

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I use the Husqvarna progressive gauges in the size chain that I need. The one in the picture is a .325.

Attachments

• 9EDF55C6-255C-480A-AB6D-DAA718A30DF7.png
    9EDF55C6-255C-480A-AB6D-DAA718A30DF7.png
    171 KB · Views: 7
I use the Husqvarna progressive gauges in the size chain that I need. The one in the picture is a .325.

These don’t work with skip chains though. [emoji17]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I use my depth tool more as a checking device than a filing guide. As you continue to sharpen and make the teeth shorter, the rakers need to go down accordingly. That's pretty obvious, and like anything else related to hand sharpening you'll improve your skills and be able to " touch" things up and drop the rakers with a couple of short uniform strokes with a good flat file. About every 3rd time I check the depth with my gauge and may take a minute to make sure they are all the same if/as needed.

Hand sharpening chains is just something you'll get good at. Nothing at all wrong with starting out with guides and measuring devices to keep you honest, but as you get more practice and perfect those skills you'll find that stuff just getting in the way and adding additional time to the operation.......IMHO......Cliff

Latest posts

Back