Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Halloween our area had a freak storm with high winds, knocked the top of a dead oak near my house. This was a problem tree that I have concluded after consulting with various experts, including @rarefish383 that it needed to be climbed and pieced down. The whole tree leaned toward the house with a huge crotch Y-junction that arched over my driveway. It was a snag situation no matter how you sliced it. Well, as I already mentioned, the top came down within mere feet of my house, the only damage was a baseball sized hole in my attached garage door from a limb-missile upon impact. Turns out that just below that crotch, and about 8' down it was totally hollow and rotted, that's why it came crashing down.

What is funny is that I contracted an arborist to climb and piece it down, they put me on a filler schedule and called the day before, but I couldn't make it over in time to remove some fencing and declined. The next day, the top came down leaving a 60' totem with a clear lay... just saved me a few hundred $$. Got a decent amount of wood from the top, but gave it to my buddy who lives nearby and is just starting out with a woodstove to heat his home. Filled his entire 6' bed of his truck. Decided to take down the remaining standing totem pole today, needed an excuse to break out the 461...

baBdtgD.jpg

C0Zo5pO.jpg

AUC55lZ.jpg

dnAbFqx.jpg

Tz3geco.jpg

My log pile is growing again, was a little bigger early this spring, but split and stacked it all. There is some logs from a medium sized black cherry and a very large black locust that I felled back in July, but here it is with the oak added to it. Need to get to work soon because I have a LOT of ash to take down in the next few weeks.

pEQHTSS.jpg

t72yltW.jpg
Well dang, I knew if we kept putzing around that old tree would just get tired of standing up, and just lay down on it's own. See it worked!

My daughter is getting married Sat so I'm hoping for some nice fall weather. The reception is at a Manor House in the mountains of Thurmont. When we were up last week the leaves were almost perfect, hope they are not all gone Sat. Sorry Clarence, I wanted to stop by, but Carolyn said we didn't have time.

Congratulations!

Philbert

It is good news. I hope the future son-in-law is a good lad.

I have sometimes wondered about congratulating people for things that they didn't personally achieve. Like this example, or congratulating someone for when their children have a child. Or is it congratulations for managing to raise your child to the point where they could have one themselves? Or for the new grandparent living long enough to see it? Maybe we just don't have a better word to properly express pleasure at the thought of someone else's happiness at an event somewhat removed from them, so we say congratulations. I dunno. I make no criticism, just a minor philosophical question.

When I turned 40, I had several people congratulate me rather than wish a happy birthday - it struck me as a bit odd, it was almost as though they didn't think I'd make it :laugh:.

I have sometimes wondered about congratulating people for things that they didn't personally achieve. Like this example, or congratulating someone for when their children have a child. Or is it congratulations for managing to raise your child to the point where they could have one themselves? Or for the new grandparent living long enough to see it? Maybe we just don't have a better word to properly express pleasure at the thought of someone else's happiness at an event somewhat removed from them, so we say congratulations. I dunno. I make no criticism, just a minor philosophical question.

When I turned 40, I had several people congratulate me rather than wish a happy birthday - it struck me as a bit odd, it was almost as though they didn't think I'd make it :laugh:.
I know what you mean, the cars I went through in my teens and twenties, I don't think anyone expected me to make 40. I think when people say congrats, it's not for the wedding, it's for all the extra space they will be getting to store more chainsaws.

I know what you mean, the cars I went through in my teens and twenties, I don't think anyone expected me to make 40. I think when people say congrats, it's not for the wedding, it's for all the extra space they will be getting to store more chainsaws.

That's it!! I knew there must be a sensible explanation :happybanana:.

Glad I said happy birthday to you :laugh:.

For those curious, I had exactly ten loads with 90 pieces per load. So, I get about 900 pieces per cord.View attachment 772098

I had 50 rounds from a good size hickory that I split into 16 pieces each, made 800 splits. So I’m guessing it was very close to a cord. Nice to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I split up some scrounged peppermint the other day. It's green and for my brother for next winter so I split it smaller than I normally do to help it dry - it does dry pretty fast anyway.

17th Nov 2.jpg

I told Cowlad that he needed to learn about the noble art of firewood stacking. He was happy with that. I told him where to do it (against the north side of the wood shed) and how to crib the ends, do it in such a way that it falls in on itself as it dries and to lay pieces where they fit like Tetris so there aren't huge gaps in there. So he started stacking while I split up some remaining rounds and chucked the splits up next to him.

17th Nov 3.jpg

17th Nov 5.jpg

Splitting trash firepit fuel.

17th Nov 4.jpg

He had the Spartan race on and got this much done before he had to get ready but there's stihl the main pile to stack and it is about 15m from the stack which is a bit of a pain for him when he can only pick up a couple at a time. I'll move it over next to his stack but I'm not interfering with his stacking. There's a bit under two cubes (maybe half a cord at best) in total to do.

17th Nov 6.jpg

That was yesterday. I'm having my first coffee of the day and the boy is outside on his own initiative continuing his work. It's 5.45am.

17th Nov 7.jpg

I split up some scrounged peppermint the other day. It's green and for my brother for next winter so I split it smaller than I normally do to help it dry - it does dry pretty fast anyway.

View attachment 773351

I told Cowlad that he needed to learn about the noble art of firewood stacking. He was happy with that. I told him where to do it (against the north side of the wood shed) and how to crib the ends, do it in such a way that it falls in on itself as it dries and to lay pieces where they fit like Tetris so there aren't huge gaps in there. So he started stacking while I split up some remaining rounds and chucked the splits up next to him.

View attachment 773352

View attachment 773354

View attachment 773353

He had the Spartan race on and got this much done before he had to get ready but there's stihl the main pile to stack and it is about 15m from the stack which is a bit of a pain for him when he can only pick up a couple at a time. I'll move it over next to his stack but I'm not interfering with his stacking. There's a bit under two cubes (maybe half a cord at best) in total to do.

View attachment 773355

That was yesterday. I'm having my first coffee of the day and the boy is outside on his own initiative continuing his work. It's 5.45am.

View attachment 773356
Congratulations :laugh:.

View attachment 773351

View attachment 773352

View attachment 773354

View attachment 773353

View attachment 773355

View attachment 773356
For the benefit of all of us how do you get a junior burger this motivated???

Back