A little 019t wisdom please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Adams

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So a guy gave me one today.
Was sitting outside partially under a tarp in his dead saw pile. Seems to have decent compression, though I didnt pull it over. Just pulled the plug(plug looked fine) and sprayed in a little penetrating oil in case water got in there. It was pretty nasty. Probably been sitting for a while before it was tossed. So far, I know its missing the filter and cover, bar and chain, and the clutch drum bearing. He must've needed the bearing for another saw, as the crank shows no damage.
Whats everyone's opinion of this one, and what problem areas should I look for?
I'll get around to checking compression, vac and pressure test later.
Also, can anyone tell me how old it is? Serial number attached.1112191835.jpg 1112191835_HDR.jpg 1112191837_HDR.jpg

019t is a world of its own.
4a4bf1eea8266522fb0b5418b870b915.jpg

Anything beyond normal maintenance requires removing engine from case. Labor intensive they are.

Good little bugger tho. [emoji106]

(Zip tie is flooded engine measure)

Just felt of pull cord by pulling gently Rupedoggy. Didnt want to yank it over hard in case rust or something was in there. Saw was outside. Not well covered, and it rained yesterday. Got theplug out. No water visible.

Driver, you aint even kidding!
I just dug into the little bastid.
Regardless of whether I end up fixing it, I'm gonna keep it here. That way when I'm dreading working on a Mini Mac, I can just pull it out and remember that things could be worse.
So I did check compression. Was 80 psi. No bueno!
Took it apart, and heres whats up.
1. Found a piece of stick about 1/8" in diameter that got sucked thru the carb and lodged in the reed. That would cause a minor running issue.
2. Someone cut for awhile with the chain brake on. Behind the clutch is pretty crispy. Oiler pump drive gear melted. No way that was oiling.
3. Ring is stuck. Looks partially like some water did get in there, but then theres the piston. Its got a flat spot on each side where it rides the transfer dividers. Anyone ever seen this?
Is it even worth trying to get the scotchbrite to clean it up?1114191922a.jpg 1114191921a_HDR.jpg 1114191920a.jpg 1114191920.jpg

Rupedoggy, I realize 80 psi is not good. I initially said it felt like decent compression. I was turning it slowly. What I felt may have been some water in the cylinder or the resistance from the rust on the ring.
Maybe I shouldnt have mentioned any of that, as it seems to expose a soft spot that some here seem to be hovering with a salt shaker to rub their derision into.
What I was asking for was some advise and help to see if this piece of equipment was worth an investment of money and time, or if I should just throw it away and find something else.
I can assure you that I have some experience with small engines, having my own business and carrying a line of equipment for a few years(I learned better, and just do this for a hobby now).
I have wisely decided to just throw the few metal parts this one has into the scrap metal trailer for recycling, and the rest of the plastic into the dumpster. I will go back to the real saws. Magnesium Poulans, Homelites, and McCullochs.
They are real equipment. Well made, and have stood the test of time. They also dont have the "snob factor" that the orange plastic garbage seems to have.
About as bad as trying to have an intelligent conversation about tractors with a John Deere fan.

Back