Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a WoodlandPro Fallers Axe and when it arrived the head wasn’t just loose it comes off...
I bought one more than a year ago. Head came loose after some serious wedge pounding (it is a faller's axe after all). Bailey's sent me a replacement.

The metal wedge appears to be separate from the head, just jammed in really tight, then the painted the head after.

If you are in 'Central California', maybe take it back to them and visit the store?

Philbert

I bought one more than a year ago. Head came loose after some serious wedge pounding (it is a faller's axe after all). Bailey's sent me a replacement.

The metal wedge appears to be separate from the head, just jammed in really tight, then the painted the head after.

If you are in 'Central California', maybe take it back to them and visit the store?

Philbert

I actually saw your post on that and it was the reason I checked the head before swinging it. Has the new one been holding up?

And yes, I've thought about asking if I could stop by and pick one myself. Its a little out of the way, but I've got a job coming up that's near-ish to them.

I have not had the opportunity to use it in that way since then. I am usually using equipment that belongs to one of my volunteer groups.

It still seems like a good value, for the price and quality of construction. My biggest peeve about it is that the edge was hardly sharpened at all, and will take some work to use for chopping as well as for wedge driving.

Personally, I have enjoyed finding 'excuses' to visit vendors like Bailey's, Madsen's, etc., when anywhere 'in the neighborhood'. I like to have that picture in my mind, when ordering from them. Plus it is fun and interesting.

I have also enjoyed dropping by the retail saw shops of other A.S. sponsors and members if I 'know' of them online, and plan on being in, or passing through, the area.

Philbert

I ordered a 5lb miner's axe this fall.Haven't used it yet waiting on the treatment to get into the handle well.
I ought it for an axe to go along on wood cutting adventures and to use on the farm.Since I'll be driving felling wedges with it and won't be doing a lot full swing chopping,I decided to try the shorter axe. Plus,this was a way to get a 5lb head which I like.I have a 4lb. CT dayton pattern but it feels so light in my hands after splitting my wood with 8lb mauls.No doubt it would make a good chopper should I need to do that.

Was watching a video about firewood and they had a short bit about the splitting tools. I saw all the regular ones and then the one all the way to the left caught my eye..... anybody else see what I see?

Attachments

• B3CD3C8A-C0C2-4163-999B-88AA1F6B5952.png
    B3CD3C8A-C0C2-4163-999B-88AA1F6B5952.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
Was watching a video about firewood and they had a short bit about the splitting tools. I saw all the regular ones and then the one all the way to the left caught my eye..... anybody else see what I see?

Don't mention his name, country of origin, or the tool itself otherwise he'll appear in the mirror and murder you on the toilet whilst giving a sales pitch...

Ohh yeah, what ever happened to your BFF?
He hasn’t been around here for quite some time. For a short time he was an expert at milling and finally faded away. Can’t say I miss him.

I see he still frequents the groupie site but doesn’t have much to say. Which is interesting as he doesn’t believe in ported saws.

Latest posts

Back