Echo oiler not working

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave86

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an Echo 550 EVL with an oiler that won't work. It uses a brass plunger type oiler that is the same as the oiler on my 302S. I have cleaned out all of the oil passages and replaced the oiler.

The saw was a garage sale find. Is is otherwise in great shape and runs perfectly.

Anybody have a clue what the problem might be?

Maybe bar isn’t correct for the saw/Oiler configuration. Might be a bar someone slapped on because they needed a bar. Garage sale find after all. You’ve replaced it and neither Oiler works? Did I hear that right? Oil filter plugged?

Remove the bar and chain, leave the clutch cover off, and then run the saw. Check to see if any oil comes out the port. If it does, then the port is not aligned with the oil hole on bar. If no oil come out, then the pump is gone or the oil filter is plugged up.

Been thru like thirty Echos in the last six months.

2e06fb936dd96fcdf522e5b3e7970652.jpg

The drill is:
Remove bar/chain. Empty oil tank. Remove oil pump. Using a skinny wood stick, find the high point on the crankshaft cam. Run the oil pump all the way down against it. Back it up one full turn. Replace oil and run saw watching the bar mount port. Back the pump out until you get very little flow. Assemble the screw and collar to the pump with the stop at the minimum setting.
Run it again and turn it up to max. Readjust your minimum until it suits you.

Echos can oil like the Exxon Valdez. [emoji15]

Make sure the ‘O’ rings are flexible.

Maybe bar isn’t correct for the saw/Oiler configuration. Might be a bar someone slapped on because they needed a bar. Garage sale find after all. You’ve replaced it and neither Oiler works? Did I hear that right? Oil filter plugged?
Thanks. This was half of the problem. It was a bar that someone who shall not be named slapped on. It was a Homelite 096 mount, instead of the required 176 mount. The hole did not line up with the slot. The other half or the problem was that the oiler was not adjusted correctly. I adjusted it per the post 67L36 Driver in this thread and by Hoggwood in this other thread
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/echo-650evl-oiler-problems.331836/

Now I need to put that other bar back on my Super XL Auto.

Been thru like thirty Echos in the last six months.

2e06fb936dd96fcdf522e5b3e7970652.jpg

The drill is:
Remove bar/chain. Empty oil tank. Remove oil pump. Using a skinny wood stick, find the high point on the crankshaft cam. Run the oil pump all the way down against it. Back it up one full turn. Replace oil and run saw watching the bar mount port. Back the pump out until you get very little flow. Assemble the screw and collar to the pump with the stop at the minimum setting.
Run it again and turn it up to max. Readjust your minimum until it suits you.

Echos can oil like the Exxon Valdez. [emoji15]

Make sure the ‘O’ rings are flexible.

Thanks. I had it screwed all the way in. This was a big help.

Thanks. This was half of the problem. It was a bar that someone who shall not be named slapped on. It was a Homelite 095 mount, instead of the required 176 mount. The hole did not line up with the slot. The other half or the problem was that the oiler was not adjusted correctly. I adjusted it per the post 67L36 Driver in this thread and by Hoggwood in this other thread
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/echo-650evl-oiler-problems.331836/

Now I need to put that other bar back on my Super XL Auto.

Those 095 Husky mounts are the closest match for the XL-1/Super Mini/EZ and the 76/130/123 and earlier 1xx Homelites. Although, most I've run into use the larger UXL/196 mounts with stud shims. The larger Homelite mount is quite a universal bar. A lot of the Echos of that vintage used the larger 196 Homelite mounts and the factory S-spacer on the smaller studs. So, in short, a larger 196 mount will work as well as the smaller slotted 176, provided the studs are shimmed.

A few turns clipped from a 3/8" extension spring slipped onto each stud will work just dandy with the smaller studs needing to fit the larger mount if the factory S-spacer is long gone.

Glad my post from a few months ago helped you out.

I just check that bar again. It is an 096. Too many numbers in my head, and not enough grey matter left.
My mistake on 095. Read too quickly and was recently helping another fellow out on those 095 mounts. The 096/196 mounts should work with shims. Without spacers on the studs, the tip gets pulled up too far when you are setting the chain. Inlet holes would likely be above the output on the bar pad. Stud shims will help center the bar and align the output and inlet hole better.

550's are strong saws. Better buy your oil in bulk though. That oil pump design was on everything from the 302's to the 1001's. Gushers.

Latest posts

Back