New Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romero14

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new saw which will mostly be used here and there to cut trees at the farm/hunting ground and sometimes to cut a little firewood but nothing too major. I have run Stihls and Huskys which is what everyone in my family has. I have been here reading about Echo and am seeing good things but have never used one. I have been checking out the Echo cs-490, Husky 450, 455, and the stihl 251. So basically I have been looking at the 50 cc saws. I am wanting to spend around $350. Thanks for the help in advance.

I think any of those saws will give you solid service life. For me, it would come down to local dealer support. I have two Stihl dealers in my small town, and another wtihin a 5 minutes drive. Closest Husky/Echo dealers are at least 30 minutes, so it would be a Stihl for me.

If you're truly only going to use this once a while(2-3 times a year) and only limbing with some minor firewood cutting. I would highly suggest a battery powered saw. No issues with bad fuel or carb issues from lack of running, super easy to maintain and plenty of power for light homeowner work.

Any of the models listed would be fine for your intended purpose. Tough to go wrong for homeowner saws. I should add that the home depot rental departments often sell their ex-rental EA4300s. There are two available locally to me at $179. You'll be hard pressed to find a better bargain.

Welcome to AS @Romero14. Not sure of the price on the echo 490 but that probably will be in your price range and for the type of cutting you describe . Find a GOOD dealer!!! Use the search function here to find out what guys say about that saw. Good luck

I think any of those saws will give you solid service life. For me, it would come down to local dealer support. I have two Stihl dealers in my small town, and another wtihin a 5 minutes drive. Closest Husky/Echo dealers are at least 30 minutes, so it would be a Stihl for me.

If you're truly only going to use this once a while(2-3 times a year) and only limbing with some minor firewood cutting. I would highly suggest a battery powered saw. No issues with bad fuel or carb issues from lack of running, super easy to maintain and plenty of power for light homeowner work.

It would get used more than 2 to 3 times a year but not 2 to 3 times weekly. Possibly 4 or 5 times a month during the fall/winter

Welcome to AS @Romero14. Not sure of the price on the echo 490 but that probably will be in your price range and for the type of cutting you describe . Find a GOOD dealer!!! Use the search function here to find out what guys say about that saw. Good luck

Thank you. I have dealers for all three close to my house. I am not sure how good each dealer is but they are here.

Thank you. I have dealers for all three close to my house. I am not sure how good each dealer is but they are here.

Sounds like you're looking at the correct saws by your expected usages.

I would go visit all of the dealers, talk to the guys there and get a feel for how passionate about saws they are. If it's 'just another job' you probably won't get as good of service as a saw shop filled with guys that love saws. Also, handle all the saws...you might just gravitate towards one over the others in how they feel/handle/start/etc.

Or, just pick the one you like the look of the best. None of those saws are significantly better than the others, IMO.

I run stihl's because there are plenty of dealers and service outlets in my area. I do like my ms 261c that I bought last year. It's my lightest saw and thats what I like about it. It's light, starts very easy and gets good fuel millage.

Here's the 35.8cc saw that I use about as much as any other saw I have.
20191109_134503.jpg
It's a higher end saw in the 35cc category, an Echo CS-361P. Exceptionally light. And fairly capable.
Gave it a little test cutting down this mulberry, which is some pretty hard wood.
20191109_130908.jpg
Cut it down, limbed it, and got it mostly bucked up in less than 30 minutes. Once past the cutting down of the tree, couldn't have done the rest of what it did any faster with a larger saw.
20191109_140602.jpg 20191109_143616.jpg
Although I did use a larger saw to cut off the stump and make the last couple of cuts on the trunk. But the the little saw coulda finished the job, although at a slower rate.

I don't think I'd choose a 35cc saw if you had to make a lot of cuts over 10 inches on a regular basis.(that tree was about 16").
But I lived a long time with just the little 41cc Stihl in my avatar. And it cut way above it's weight.

A 40-ish cc saw is a really versatile and mostly controllable tool that I don't mind holding over my head now and then.

Back