Here’s a thought. 372 or anything else you don’t mind drilling holes in.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrwied

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Maybe keep engine cooler n combusting better. I know most cutters live in a cooler climate. But in a hot environment? How can extra cooling be a bad thing. Especially on a completely closed air box, with an engine I expect to perform n create heat. I might go a bit bigger hole n line the inside with a coarser screen. If it’s terrible please let me know. I’m sure this has been done in warm climate. Hell they probably just leave all the plastics in the garage or hut. I just haven’t seen. Can always plug the holes with JB Plastic. Humidity? Irrelevant? Unnecessary? Pointless? If this can hurt efficiency I gotta here it.

Attachments

• D6FDD0DB-8FD5-4806-985B-303F4AEB4392.jpeg
    D6FDD0DB-8FD5-4806-985B-303F4AEB4392.jpeg
    726.8 KB · Views: 110
Perfectly good saw. No. Perfectly decent high expectation clone. Just something I’d like to last longer than China expected. That top cover was steep though, Maybe a small thread of life support. See how long the chineee chainsow love me long time.

I'm not a big fan of air injection, and it seems the OP isn't either. I like the idea of drawing in air from the rear of the saw not the front of the recoil grill. But if this mod was for engine cooling....I'm not sure it will make a lick of difference. Would I drill 22 small holes in a saw shroud...not too sure but likely not. Why not just do 2 bigger holes and fit frogskin grommets?

I get that .... honestly it’s just like a thousand degrees here. N the civic radiator wouldn’t stay attached. I think cooler air combust fuel better too. Might b wrong. I’m new at this all my previous experience is in cars. It’s chinese. Might need the life support.

See I like the shotgun method. My way took 15 minutes. Ugh! I thought will I ever be done drilling these doggone holes. There have been several moment when I thought shotgun will fix this.

My thoughts are with ported high performance saws we build. First muffler mods seem to be a hot ticket when it comes to mods. Then porting and advancing the timing. Now you have a beast in your hands but is the beast really turned loose yet? I think the intake housing needs to be addressed too since porting and muffler mods is about flow. What about the fresh air entering the intake, carb area much easier like the porting helps the fuel mix enter the cylinder and exhaust flow out the exhaust mod.

On the 2100 top cover I’m thinking of adding holes infront of the pre screen but behind the first outside rail so there not in plain view. But will increase the flow of air to the pre screen. Or removing the plastic plug on the right side and glue a steel mesh over the hole to let more are in.

I don’t think we can allow too much fresh air in. It will only take what it needs. The cylinder part of the top cover is fine stock.

One of the finest things about Husqy engineering is the way clean air is sent to the carb box--CLEAN AIR, without all the saw chips and dust that surround a saw during use. This means you only have to tap the dust out of your air filter once every few weeks, whereas with earlier saws (the Macs I started out with) you had to clean the air filter every day. Why anyone would want to tamper with that excellent system is hard to imagine. Drill away, boys. Go back to a carb box filled with dust and dirt for no advantage.

I washed my older husky air filter screen mesh type with ether to get the oil off of them. Everyday I clean them after each day use no matter what.

I knew this would bring a real mixed bag conv. I like it. Thanks everyone for chiming in. I really wanted to hear all sides of this. To me it’s like why not. We do it on cars. They don’t lose cabin pressure under their hood, I’m glad u said that though because I was thinking of goin bigger. Might be overkill. So what about some of those big nerf bat looking air filters standing up 6-8 inches on race saws. Are they losing cabin pressure, and horsepower. I don’t think this guys gonna starve for HP like it will air fuel n cooling. Maybe though. No way to really tell. It’s just for fun. Don’t worry guys I’m not gonna start drilling holes in my classic vintage saws. This is just a kit for fun.

Nice one Yotaismygame. I don’t think this will change anything that a person can notice or see “gauge” without scientific equipment. Gotta be offering lil cooler air than just flywheel though.

Nice one Yotaismygame. I don’t think this will change anything that a person can notice or see “gauge” without scientific equipment. Gotta be offering lil cooler air than just flywheel though.
Why do you think this? What is your hypothesis that the air at the back of the saw will be any cooler than the air by the side of the saw(where the flywheel draws it's air from)?

Also, generally speaking, hotter air under pressure will usually make more power than cooler air at atmospheric pressure. See turbochargers and superchargers. Now, obviously, cooler air under pressure makes the most. I don't know how much 'pressure' the flywheel will actually produce, but it's pulling cold air from the side of the saw and shoving it into the air box. IMO, there isn't going to be a significant or even measurable difference in intake air temperature from the rear of the saw vs the side of the saw during operation.

My wintertime cutting scenarios are mild. Even when I do there’s never hardly even snow much less feet upon feet of snow. Most of my cutting is in 80+ temperatures. I get the fact that these are designed for rugged frigid weather conditions. The reason I think rear accessable outside air is cooler is because it’s further away from the radiant heat from cylinder and general temp of the saw. It’s a stretch. Least I’ll know it’s mine if it gets stolen and I see it in the bed of someone’s truck. Lol.

Latest posts

Back