Cold weather affects our saws too.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was keeping my saws in a woodstove heated monster garage during the cold weather when I had the firewood bizz. All gassed and oiled up, sharpened up ready to go. I still keep them out of the cold weather. When traveling there in the cab with me. Don’t forget the longer warm up time too let them idle. Treat them good or they won’t treat us good.

I put a good mobil super 10/40 in the log splitter and my one ton truck just before the cold front hits. The front 4x4 spindles were repacked with grease and new seals during the summer.

Fact, the 400th tranny let go in November one year. I installed a four speed with a granny gear in its place. The 400th was stronger with the b&m kit and the 3 k stall converter.

Saw (or saws[emoji38]) always travel with me and usually I already have planned out when I’m going to use it so if it’s in my truck it’s been in there with the heat on for a little while to help it warm up from the cold.

If I’m at home and planning on doing cutting on the weekend so it comes out of the truck and sits in the house overnight.

I think one of the most important things you can do is warm up time. The next important thing you can do is obviously a quality oil but pair that with ethanol free gas !!

Ethanol will aggressively attack water.

As for switches freezing. A dry silicone spray is your friend. Spray it right inside the switch it won’t hurt a thing.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

At -40 everything freezes lol

Thats fine.

Dont spray it.

Thats up to you.

At -40 i would try anything if I truly had to run the saw when it was that cold.

My first husky saws lasted a longtime I pampered them, kept them warm and ran the snots out of them when in use.

Thats fine.

Dont spray it.

Thats up to you.

At -40 i would try anything if I truly had to run the saw when it was that cold.

Let's be honest, if it's that cold, the number doesn't mean a damn thing.

I've only cut in Oklahoma and Arkansas so I have no (or very little) experience with negative temps and felling. Does the hinge perform different at sub-zero temps? What (if any) special considerations have to be taken?

I've only cut in Oklahoma and Arkansas so I have no (or very little) experience with negative temps and felling. Does the hinge perform different at sub-zero temps? What (if any) special considerations have to be taken?

Frozen wood doesn't bend like non-frozen. Likes to snap like most frozen things. Some species are affected more than others.

I generally leave a slightly thicker hinge, but I don't do a lot of felling in super cold temps. Especially if I'm trying to turn a tree hard, I'll leave more hinge and use the wedge more than I would if the tree was not frozen. I'm sure other guys have more experience than I do may have more tips.

Back