Makita dcs 5000

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kidneycutter

Kidneycutter
Reaction score
My father is finding it really hard to start his saw and suggested a decompression valve. As l have no experience of doing this I wanted to hear what you think. My gut feeling is I could quite easily destroy a good engine and ther fore reluctant to drill it.

New saw is not an option at this moment.
It looks like the dcs 5001 has a decomp. There is a flat spot on the side of the cylinder for the valve I guess there's some sort of port there rather than the cylinder wall?

No it's just a cast in boss. If you decide to try it, that's where you'd mount it.
I haven't had the cylinder off but from the images on the the right hand side where the flat for the decomp seems to be a long way from the cylinder wall compared to the other side ... Surely the decomp does go into the cylinder wall?

I haven't had the cylinder off but from the images on the the right hand side where the flat for the decomp seems to be a long way from the cylinder wall compared to the other side ... Surely the decomp does go into the cylinder wall?
You have to drill all the way through with a very small bit, then clean up the hole inside the cylinder so as not to have the ring catch on it. Then the boss has to be further drilled and tapped to thread the decomp button in but also leave space for it to open. It's not really something most could tackle at home. One slip and you've ruined a ~$150 jug. Really, honestly, I'd sell the saw and fund something more appropriate for him.

Ok thanks for replies.
Going to install decomp. Just worried about the small hole into the cylinder wall (dcs5000 has the boss on the side) what sort of drill will cut the best on this material bearing in mind I'm going to cut through the nikasil plate?

Using a drill press, a HSS bit will do fine, its aluminum until the last couple thousands. That is where the problem will present itself as the plating will not drill, it needs to be ground away with a diamond ball for a smooth job. The drill bit will rupture the plating but most times it can be cleaned up with the diamond ball in a Dremel like tool.

Thanks for replies. just bought a dcs500 for spares for next to nothing. Wouldn't run, needle bearing seized. looked in the parts list and this seems to have an easy start assembly? So may just swap this with his 5000.

Well thought I'd better show you how it went. Drilled, tapped and fixed ...... Dcs5000 with decomp! So hopefully the old man can use his saw.....it didn't need choking - hence smoke and multiple pullin! Great saw - loads of power for weight.

Back