New (to me) Pioneer 1771

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Against The Grain

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just picked up an all-original Pioneer 1771.

It seems to be in excellent condition but I need some advice from someone who has used one of these monsters!

I haven't tried running it yet cause I need to clean the old gas out of it (it hasn't been run in several years)

First, when I pull it over fast it seems to have lots of compression but if I pull it slowly it loses compression quickly and is quite easy to pull. Is this possibly normal on this saw or is it possibly needing rings?

Secondly, it calls for 12:1 fuel mix. Has anyone else run one of these on a little thinner mix? I'm wondering if 12:1 might also affect the compression issue.

PM didn't give too much history...

You can email me the pics, and I'll post them. A 1771 is a great find - good work on that. You can run modern gas/oil mix in it at 32:1 or 40:1 with a quality
synthetic blend or synthetic oil. In regard to the compression, I think there's a compression release on the back of the cylinder, so check that first.

Thanks, I'm excited to get playing with it!
This is just the way I got it, haven't even cleaned it up yet!
42" hardnose bar has gotten a little hot at the tip but otherwise the whole saw looks almost like new!
I'm happy :)

What a beast! I have run 50-1 with good oil in my vintage Pioneers with no problems, 32 or 40-1 would be just fine. The light colored area at the nose of the bar is quit hard and long wearing, I have a couple of old hard nose bars and a file will barely make a scratch on the nose. Feeler gauges to check for width and depth will tell you the amount of wear around the bar. And yes, run it a little loose compared to a sprocket nose, a lot of drag and friction there if you run it too tight.

That is a NICE saw. I restored mine recently. How far "north" in Sask are you? I've got some relatives in Makwa Lake.

20180718_163655.jpg
Before, it was an old company saw from Vancouver Island and it was really really rough.

20180718_163704.jpg

20180718_163715.jpg

IMG_20180922_225201.jpg
After, missing the ID tag, but its all there and runs good now.

received_1304164336392883.jpeg

received_2239534609697060.jpeg

Have fun with the saw, they're really good for their age. Does yours have the automatic oil pump in it? Mines partially machined for it, but it was never installed from factory.

Plenty of stellite left on the nose there.

You want to run the chain a little loose on a hard nose bar.

I know there's not much wear there (just a little blueing) but I was just saying that is the only wear I can find on the whole unit

That is a NICE saw.

restored mine recently. How far "north" in Sask are you? I've got some relatives in Makwa Lake.

Have fun with the saw, they're really good for their age. Does yours have the automatic oil pump in it? Mines partially machined for it, but it was never installed from factory.

Thanks,

I'm North of Porcupine Plain at the edge of the Wildcat Hills forest.

I think mine has the automatic oiler (the label on the top says 1771 AUTOMATIC) but it also has the manual pump too.
I haven't had it running yet to make sure cause I'm still recovering from a knee replacement (2 months ago) so I'm still not in shape to muscle around a monster like this!
Imagine my frustration.....
Nice job on your saw
That looks like it was a lot of work but it sure looks GREAT now!

Still wondering about the 12:1 mix recommendation for this saw.

Pioneer was recommending a lot thinner mixes for their other saws of the same years but for these babies they specified a THICK mix. Just wondering why???

Anybody want to speculate why it would be different?

ML 12, what are you running in yours and how is it liking it?
By the way, is yours a 1770 or a 1771? Wondering if that might explain why you don't have the automatic oiler. I really don't know what the difference is between the numbers!

Oil ratios back then had everything to do with the quality and type of oil used. For myself, 32:1 synthetic or semi-synthetic in everything from my old 2 mans to my Husky 357xpg. Nothing has ever complained including my Pioneer 1770 and 1850. Use whatever ratio lets you sleep at night.

Regarding your saw, very gorgeous looking. Auto oilers seem rare on these, yet Pioneer was die-casting the crankcases to accept that machining from day 1 of the 700s. Can't say I've ever heard of auto-oiling 850/1850 gear drives.

Oil ratios back then had everything to do with the quality and type of oil used. For myself, 32:1 synthetic or semi-synthetic in everything from my old 2 mans to my Husky 357xpg. Nothing has ever complained including my Pioneer 1770 and 1850. Use whatever ratio lets you sleep at night.

Regarding your saw, very gorgeous looking. Auto oilers seem rare on these, yet Pioneer was die-casting the crankcases to accept that machining from day 1 of the 700s. Can't say I've ever heard of auto-oiling 850/1850 gear drives.

I would think oil quality would be be the same in the same years and the same make, just don't understand why Pioneer would want more oil in the bigger engines?

Glad to hear that your 1770 likes the 32:1. I was hoping to hear from someone using the same saw, so thank you for that.

Thanks also for the compliment on the saw. I'm very excited to try it out when I heal up enough.

As for the auto oiler, the label says it is, the parts manual says it is, on the outside it looks like it is... but I haven't had it apart or running yet so we'll see!

I know there's not much wear there (just a little blueing) but I was just saying that is the only wear I can find on the whole unit

Thanks,

I'm North of Porcupine Plain at the edge of the Wildcat Hills forest.

I think mine has the automatic oiler (the label on the top says 1771 AUTOMATIC) but it also has the manual pump too.
I haven't had it running yet to make sure cause I'm still recovering from a knee replacement (2 months ago) so I'm still not in shape to muscle around a monster like this!
Imagine my frustration.....
Nice job on your saw
That looks like it was a lot of work but it sure looks GREAT now!

Ok, I've not been east of Saskatoon, I can't imagine there are many trees that would require that much saw around there though. There certainly aren't anywhere else I've been in SK.

Mine was a ton of work to get back to good shape, and I had some help from the members here getting me parts.

Still wondering about the 12:1 mix recommendation for this saw.

Pioneer was recommending a lot thinner mixes for their other saws of the same years but for these babies they specified a THICK mix. Just wondering why???

Anybody want to speculate why it would be different?

ML 12, what are you running in yours and how is it liking it?
By the way, is yours a 1770 or a 1771? Wondering if that might explain why you don't have the automatic oiler. I really don't know what the difference is between the numbers!

I run 40:1 with a synthetic oil, 94 octane ethanol free fuel. It seems to be happy, but honestly I haven't even run 2 tanks through it, and it has all new bearings and rings etc, so I can't say definitively one way or the other.

I run the same mix in all of my saws from the early ones (early 1950s IELs) to the new ones. I'd recommend not running too much oil as it can carbon up the exhaust.

The 1770/1771/1750 are basically the same I think, no idea if they have different internals or not. As for what mine is, I really don't know as the tag is missing on the front and the decal was long gone.

If your saw doesn't have spark its likely due to the coil insulation failing. There are replacement coils available that are sold for evinrude/OMC outboards that are a direct swap, let me know and I will dig up the part number. The carb kit (if it needs one) can be sourced from sugar creek supply.

Ok, I've not been east of Saskatoon, I can't imagine there are many trees that would require that much saw around there though. There certainly aren't anywhere else I've been in SK.

The 1770/1771/1750 are basically the same I think

You haven't been to the best part of Saskatchewan :)

I am right on the edge of the forest here. Logging is one of the biggest industries around here. In fact, our local logging contractor is the largest in western Canada!

I have an average of 30 truck loads of logs going by my driveway EVERY DAY!
And these are all 8 and 9 axle trucks! (150,000 lbs +)
So, I think we have some trees... ;-)

My parts manual covers the 1770 and the 1771, all parts the same. Don't know about the 1750.

Thanks for the tips about the mixture etc. Sure would like to be out there playing with it...
I hate being an invalid!!!

Next time you're in Saskatchewan, give me a call and I'll take you on a tour that will change your perception of our province! :)

Latest posts

Back