Chainsaw cleaning product.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been using this cheap 4 dollar degreaser on 4 saws now, and it is fantastic. Just a simple degreaser, but it seems to go on, work and wash off so quick with no damage to the surface finish.Just finish up with compressed air from my little silent compressor.

I know there are lots of thoughts on what to and not to use. I have covered all my saws, plastic and metal with it and then wash it off with hose (sprinkle setting though nothing powerful) and it’s been fantastic.

Works on everything and does a beautiful job of degreasing, cleaning and freeing up stuck gunked parts).

I give up with tooth picks and pokers as this is too easy.

Results:

Although it’s a fairly new saw with only 4-5 tanks, it got covered in cherry wood tannin, sand and gunk, but came out good.

So my point, just grab some cheap degreaser, spray on, wait, hose and air blow.

C2C14F32-9FFA-45D8-BA91-620CD3068FC7.jpeg
96DC5639-FDAC-47DF-A508-1A075C8EF53A.jpeg

Wow! Really looks brand new!!!
It is new really, only used a few times for about 5 hours probably 5 tanks through, but that cherry tannin stains really hard, worked wonders :)

But I have used this on another 180, this one is years old and very abused by the previous owner, came out really good too!

4DD42A31-FAC4-4496-8E23-7878B307092A.jpeg
3C4ADDC0-FDF8-4402-B53B-9B7270C56A24.jpeg

I'm amazed that something which works that well does not damage the plastic. Although I like my saws to have some "attitude" (i.e. paint on the bars slightly worn off and the such like, so that I don't look like a noob) I still think a clean saw cuts better! Thanks for sharing!

I'm amazed that something which works that well does not damage the plastic. Although I like my saws to have some "attitude" (i.e. paint on the bars slightly worn off and the such like, so that I don't look like a noob) I still think a clean saw cuts better! Thanks for sharing!
Hmmm I wonder over the years if it will? I can’t say of course. However doesn’t say anything about not using on plastic! It does say to not leave it on panel paint. Just wash off and I didn’t have any problems :)

I use that occasionally and it works well. Cover the muffler outlets and wash em down.

My saws stay relatively clean but occasionally I’ll get a saw that was used/stored in a dusty environment and is all grungy. One to two applications of this and some hot water has them sparkly again.

The main issue making saws dirty is bar and chain oil mixed with saw dust. So a you don't need harsh chemicals that would hurt plastic to get it clean...Dawn dish soap would actually work pretty well. Most de-greasing products aren't real harsh. Simple green, purple stuff, they're all the same and they work pretty well. They won't hurt plastic/rubber/etc.

Most of the 'plastic' in our saws is actually Nylon, glass fiber reinforced nylon to be exact. Nylon is susceptible to acids mostly. So as long as the cleaner isn't highly acidic, it should be fine.

The main issue making saws dirty is bar and chain oil mixed with saw dust. So a you don't need harsh chemicals that would hurt plastic to get it clean...Dawn dish soap would actually work pretty well. Most de-greasing products aren't real harsh. Simple green, purple stuff, they're all the same and they work pretty well. They won't hurt plastic/rubber/etc.

Most of the 'plastic' in our saws is actually Nylon, glass fiber reinforced nylon to be exact. Nylon is susceptible to acids mostly. So as long as the cleaner isn't highly acidic, it should be fine.
Thanks for the insight. I think the reason for the post was that I never knew what to or not to do. There seems to be people that have very strong opinions on how it should be done. I got a little confused as to what’s right and wrong. In all reality, a quick degrease and hose followed by compressed air is all that’s needed. Therefore I guess I just wanted to offer some simple no bs advice in the hopes that if anyone was in my position, they can say, oh hey that’s cool, I’ll do that, it clearly works. :)

Dawn with a soft bristled scrub brush would probably be best for the saw but it’s so darn easy to spray that degreaser spray and let it sit.
Haha yeah, it’s so quick and fuss free. Spray it all over, leave for a couple mins, hose off on low to medium pressure “watering can / shower” setting and air compress off and she’s sparkling and smells good too ha.

The first few times cleaning i’d use tooth picks and cotton buds to get all the crud out and it was just an absolutely stupid waste of time, effort and expense really. Took over an hour to an hour and a half when i’d do a quicker and better job (5 mins all in) with a can and hose. I just block the exhaust with a little masking tape.
When the oil is broken down after a min or so, everything else that was gooey and gunked just washes off easily I have found. No need to scrub or anything.

I use it on the bar and chain too with excellent results. Put it back together, drop a few squirts of oil on the chain and nose sprocket area and you’re ready to go out cutting with a great condition saw which took no time at all.

Back