026 how many pulls to start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bally1020

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone have a related start situation?
Haven't counted but maybe six seven or eight pulls choke on but then it doesn't pop it actually runs and tgen slows as you might expect full choke, then on to half choke it picks up slowly bit by hit and then choke off and it runs ok, i think.

I have a cheapy compression tester but i think it doesnt seal right on the cylinder ecen though i epoxyed the rubber tube to the brass thing(ers) so with that saw and the 021 i get 25 psi. With the new farmertec/ holztformma 038 mag replica i get 50 psi.

Just wondering!

thanks

On the dozen or so 026`s I own the average is 5 pulls on choke cold, flip off the choke and another pull or two its running, let it warm up 15 seconds then give it a couple light revs, then idle a bit more to let the heat swell both the piston and cylinder. Cut wood.

I had an 026 that was a bear to get started.

Mo.Jim said to turn the low side open a half turn.

That and holding down on the ([emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959]) Stihl control lever worked.

Choke blade in the air filter. Poor design.

I never did like the in- filter choke on the 026. It seems too restrictive. Plus I’ve seen the choke baffle get sucked back in at WOT.
If you run it for a moment without the filter it really gets up and talks.
I’m sure there’s a mod for that filter.

There is, I have worked over every one of mine, when I said average of 5 pulls over that is on saws that havn`t been started for several days to several weeks, its difficult to rotate through 12 - 13 saws , some get started more than others. The chokes are no mystery, its easy to make them work better than factory.

Then it's to the air filter division to speak to the engineers today. A great startung point I may not have guesed myself alone. Interesting to hear everyones starting pull amounts on the 026!

There is, I have worked over every one of mine, when I said average of 5 pulls over that is on saws that havn`t been started for several days to several weeks, its difficult to rotate through 12 - 13 saws , some get started more than others. The chokes are no mystery, its easy to make them work better than factory.
got any pics on what you did to the 026 filter to improve it ?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My o26 is 3-4 on choke then two on highidle. That’s sitting for weeks as it’s not my go to saw. I also don’t like in on filter choke set up but have a 024 026 and two 028s that have them. The 024 is a pita to find air filters for also

View attachment 772887
Good idea. Remember the manual butterfly choke on the P5000? That would work too, but some serious plastic hacking.

Remember them, heck, I have a dozen of em in all flavors hanging around here. I modified one to run 250 lbs compression, useless turd it is...LOL
A simple primer bulb like the crappy Poulans came with will make hard starting saw much easier to start, a couple of my semi race saws have no chokes but do have primers.

Remember them, heck, I have a dozen of em in all flavors hanging around here. I modified one to run 250 lbs compression, useless turd it is...LOL
A simple primer bulb like the crappy Poulans came with will make hard starting saw much easier to start, a couple of my semi race saws have no chokes but do have primers.
That’s good to know about all your 5000’s, now I know where I can get parts whenever I need them.
My 460 started on three choke pulls and one pull on throttle lock at minus 3C today.

That’s good to know about all your 5000’s, now I know where I can get parts whenever I need them.
My 460 started on three choke pulls and one pull on throttle lock at minus 3C today.
I will send you a whole saw, you can pick parts from it....LOL
All my saws start reasonably well in cold weather, gets down to -20 here some winters, my saws all start and run at those temps. It has been down to -8 here thus far this season but it will get much colder before next June.

Latest posts

Back