New Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just ordered the Echo 490 with 20" bar from ebay for $270. I'll be ordering a better chain...probably a semi-chisel.
Personally I think the 20" bar is a bit much for that size saw. I know you said you won't be cutting any big wood but if you do you may be disappointed.

Does it come with an anti-kick chain?
Mine was not safety chain. Mine is a top handle CS355T though...

I wouldn't throw away safety chain either....especially if I was just wood cutting. 90% of people are not going to see a difference safety/non safety chain of the same specs. I don't specifically search it out to buy it, but if I get it with a saw, I run it.

I don't know why they put 20" bars on 50cc saws. They are best suited for 16-18. However 20 is only 2" more than 18 and you might enjoy the little bit of extra reach when limbing. Unless you have the bar buried all the time, that saw isn't going to know the difference between 18 and 20.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I don't know why they put 20" bars on 50cc saws. They are best suited for 16-18. However 20 is only 2" more than 18 and you might enjoy the little bit of extra reach when limbing. Unless you have the bar buried all the time, that saw isn't going to know the difference between 18 and 20.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Marketing.

To an uninformed buyer: If saw A has a 20” bar and saw B has an 18” bar but they are the same price, saw A must be “better”

Also the typical homeowner cuts less than a cord of wood per year so they wouldn’t notice the difference in performance.

My 261 is a 50cc, and (when I had a 20" bar, sold it with another saw) she pulls a 20" bar in hardwood just fine. Would my 462 pull it better? Hell yes, but the 261 isn't struggling. Chews through just fine.

I pretty much only run an 18 on it though...because that's what I have for it at the moment, but if I had a 20, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

My 261 is a 50cc, and (when I had a 20" bar, sold it with another saw) she pulls a 20" bar in hardwood just fine. Would my 462 pull it better? Hell yes, but the 261 isn't struggling. Chews through just fine.

I pretty much only run an 18 on it though...because that's what I have for it at the moment, but if I had a 20, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
Have you ran a 490?

"I can't imagine using a 490 with 20" in hard wood 15" on average. Hopefully OP is real good at sharpening chain."

Plus 2, 3, and 4.

It's a really nice little saw but doesn't have nearly the power to effectively manage the .325" 20" bar in big material. It would however make an EXCELLENT firewood/limbing saw with a 16" .325" set-up with semi-chisel chain on it......IMHO.....Cliff

PS: and "yes", I've ran plenty of CS-490's and set them up for local folks here. They run well, power is OK for 50cc, smooth/broad/flat power curve, nothing overly impressive anyplace, and they are not even close to my CS-510 or either one of my Husqvarna closed port 55's.....

Latest posts

Back