Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im gonna stop picking up hardwood and look for spruce/silver maple....hardwoods hold coals too long and i cant reload. Of the 4ish loads I put in the stove a day I only need one coal-holding load:The one I put in before work so I got coals to restart after work.
@woodchiprookiecan :laugh:.

We had a light dusting of snow last night. I predict the lightest snow fall in MD history this year. I bought a 27 horse power, Kawasaki, Twin V, liquid cooled, 4' snow blower, with traction lock, weights and chains. It will never snow near me again.
What kind of beast is that :rock:.

Damn this is pretty cold here for mid november. Wood stove is burning 24/24 in the last week. Winter started real fast this year. About 10-12" of snow on the ground already. Have used snowblower twice

View attachment 772802
I still haven't got ready for snow. Been looking for a decent sized bucket but probably just gonna take my old one to the welding shop see if he can salvage it.

Honda HS55 is just an oil change away from being ready. Was going to gift it to my daughter but decided to get her one with electric start. So am gonna head to town and do some window shopping for one right now.

Im gonna stop picking up hardwood and look for spruce/silver maple....hardwoods hold coals too long and i cant reload. Of the 4ish loads I put in the stove a day I only need one coal-holding load:The one I put in before work so I got coals to restart after work.
I’ve been burning mostly Norway pine so far and it’s nice that there’s just a small coal bed each morning and after work. Versus several days of burning with hardwood and there’s 12 plus inches of coals in the boiler.

That's what I've been talkin about all this time Lol

No bush time lately so online auction time at night. Steiner attachments ( post hole digger and a stump grinder) from last weekend and a conveyor from today's on site auction. Wife went with me and she bought some smaller stuff. Bought 2 Stab lok breakers on Thursday for $28 each, bought panel and half full today for $150. Aluminum sandbox digger for my Grandson. I had a 2 hour drive home explaining why I needed 5 firewood conveyors. I told her I could put the processor at the shop and using the 5 conveyors I could send all the splits to the back of our property. She did not seen amused. It will likely be the last sale she goes to for awhile again. Was talking to an auction buddy at todays sale and it turns out we were taking turns running each other up at the online auction last Saturday. He got a few things and I got a few things. We exchanged online names so maybe won't happen as often now. Finally sold a snow blade today so only have 2 left here now, good thing as I have high bid on 3 more at next Saturdays sale.

Attachments

• 20191114_144115.jpg
    20191114_144115.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20191114_164759.jpg
    20191114_164759.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 20191114_164751.jpg
    20191114_164751.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 20191111_140546.jpg
    20191111_140546.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20191111_140554.jpg
    20191111_140554.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
I still haven't got ready for snow. Been looking for a decent sized bucket but probably just gonna take my old one to the welding shop see if he can salvage it.

Honda HS55 is just an oil change away from being ready. Was going to gift it to my daughter but decided to get her one with electric start. So am gonna head to town and do some window shopping for one right now.
Sure she'd like a new HS928 :happy:.

I wish I was lucky like you fellas, not using snow equipment. Bought a Artic Cat 650 with a plow when I got the wife her house with the LONG driveway. I beat the hell outta that thing last winter. We got hammered!! I’d wake up at 3:30, plow my driveway then head to the dealership to plow there’s. Then take the plow truck back home to touch up my driveway and lay a coat of salt. Then Back to the dealership to hit up our wholesale parts warehouse lot.
I always hear stories of guys that buy a plow truck or snowblower and it never snows anymore, I wanna be that guy!!!

We had a light dusting of snow last night. I predict the lightest snow fall in MD history this year. I bought a 27 horse power, Kawasaki, Twin V, liquid cooled, 4' snow blower, with traction lock, weights and chains. It will never snow near me again.
Send it this way. I make $20 an hour under the table for snow removal. Only takes a couple inches to make a good chunk of spare change.

Did not go above mid 20s yesterday, today was a little warmer. Have the Blizzacks on the truck but not the Stang (yet).

Leaving tomorrow for the cabin, opening day is Sat. Will meet Matt, his Dad and Daughter up there. I'll get up before them and make the cabin warm!

It is always colder up there, s/b pretty cool this year opening morning.

I have to dress warm in the cold, especially if I want to stay still. I had an allergic reaction to Penicillin years ago and it restricts blood flow through your capillaries and makes you more sensitive to the cold. That, and getting older does not help any either. I wear good gloves and boots, but I find it is more important to keep your core warm, and that keeps your extremities warm.

Insulated bib overalls and a turtleneck stretch shirt under your coat make huge differences. Work much better than long johns!

They are mighty proud of those. Might have to settle for a Husqvarna or Cub Cadet branded 24".

Even used on the CL those HS-928 give my wallet the squeaks and creaks.
They sure do work well though.
I saw someone with one yesterday at Costco on a cart leaving, it looked like a husky, probably a 28 that may be an option. I sold one of those large huskys couple yrs ago iirc, it seemed pretty well built, but it didn't like getting hit by a car at the end of the drive and neither did the guy holding it :surprised3:. The toro power whatever it is seems to be a decent unit, the one that recycles the snow, its a green snowblower :laugh:. I like to buy low hr used equipment myself and get the discount. By the time I mess around with a warrantee it seems I don't need the tool any longer. I'd rather be free to repair it with parts I get and when I need it rather than wait for a service center to do it when ever they get to it because they won't get as much for doing warrantee work :rare2:.

Did not go above mid 20s yesterday, today was a little warmer. Have the Blizzacks on the truck but not the Stang (yet).

Leaving tomorrow for the cabin, opening day is Sat. Will meet Matt, his Dad and Daughter up there. I'll get up before them and make the cabin warm!

It is always colder up there, s/b pretty cool this year opening morning.

I have to dress warm in the cold, especially if I want to stay still. I had an allergic reaction to Penicillin years ago and it restricts blood flow through your capillaries and makes you more sensitive to the cold. That, and getting older does not help any either. I wear good gloves and boots, but I find it is more important to keep your core warm, and that keeps your extremities warm.

Insulated bib overalls and a turtleneck stretch shirt under your coat make huge differences. Work much better than long johns!
Be sure to bring an extra pair of gloves to keep inside your jacket, at the first sign of your hands getting cold put them on and warm the cold ones up in there.
I don't like the heat, but I also don't want to be cold :cold:.
Have fun and be safe, hope you guys get some nice ones.

Good luck Mike and crew! Stay warm.
I have a hard time staying warm sitting so I don’t normally stand hunt (plus I have a hard time sitting still very long). After walking about 12 miles last weekend looking for deer and elk decided to try a tree stand today, rattled horns a few times and this guy showed upDBFFAAFC-F9F0-48AE-B4E9-559C0633A301.jpegfirst game animal with the ole 44 mag.

Attachments

• 54EBF8BE-EC2A-4344-BA57-F93DEA657396.jpeg
    54EBF8BE-EC2A-4344-BA57-F93DEA657396.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Good luck Mike and crew! Stay warm.
I have a hard time staying warm sitting so I don’t normally stand hunt (plus I have a hard time sitting still very long). After walking about 12 miles last weekend looking for deer and elk decided to try a tree stand today, rattled horns a few times and this guy showed upView attachment 772932first game animal with the ole 44 mag.
Nice work Nate, well I mean good job sitting there lol.
How long of a shot was it.

I thought about using my mower. Never tried it. It would probably work on dry powder but we normally get heavy wet snow
I had a blower on a craftsman riding mower with a briggs 18hp single. It did the job quite well. East of Lake Huron we get lots of lake effect snow. Need chains and weights to make them push the blower.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

No bush time lately so online auction time at night. Steiner attachments ( post hole digger and a stump grinder) from last weekend and a conveyor from today's on site auction. Wife went with me and she bought some smaller stuff. Bought 2 Stab lok breakers on Thursday for $28 each, bought panel and half full today for $150. Aluminum sandbox digger for my Grandson. I had a 2 hour drive home explaining why I needed 5 firewood conveyors. I told her I could put the processor at the shop and using the 5 conveyors I could send all the splits to the back of our property. She did not seen amused. It will likely be the last sale she goes to for awhile again. Was talking to an auction buddy at todays sale and it turns out we were taking turns running each other up at the online auction last Saturday. He got a few things and I got a few things. We exchanged online names so maybe won't happen as often now. Finally sold a snow blade today so only have 2 left here now, good thing as I have high bid on 3 more at next Saturdays sale.
You may have an auction addiction!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back