Here’s a thought. 372 or anything else you don’t mind drilling holes in.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your mod will lower the intake air pressure, and make less horsepower. It might also lower fuel consumption, since you will have to tune it leaner to match the lower air intake volume.
And to think I've been tuning my work saws with out a cap on for almost 30-yrs.
You tune a saw warm with a clean filter.
No mention of having an air box cap on.
In cases, the saw may lose RPM after coming back up to WOT once the cap is on.
Husqvarna sells caps with a hole in them. That was the cure for 'hot' start issues with the 562. I was told that it actually sucks air through the hole and not blow it out. You can buy 'frogskins' now for doing that. Convenient for cutting in fires when oxygen will be depleted faster from the stock intake than the back of the saw.
Good for cutting through a 'Window in large trees too. Duct tape off the starter cover to keep the carbon monoxide out and draw from the back. I have run saws with a lot of the starter cover taped off in really cold weather when little cutting was needed so you keeped it running all day. Never noticed a power drop. It will run erratic on the idle when too restricted.

The one I did it on was ported with an xt carb. I’ve ported other 372s since then without holes in the cover and was able to make them stronger.

Frogz skin is way cool
13778C55-8CC3-4601-90C2-7FA583E396E9.jpeg 67FDD966-B1E8-4E02-96FB-C8E02F804F3B.jpeg

Think I might need better carb on this one. Got her to pop but no start. You ever had to run one of these huztl carbs? Any idea of initial start settings? 1- 1.25 out?

I don’t thinks it’s putting any fuel in engine. Got it to pop putting some fuel in plug hole. Open up carb ....dry. I didn’t expect this carb to serve the saw well but thought maybe get it running on this one. Guess not.

Is it getting impulse? Fuel line clear? Take the carb apart and have a look. Pressure test the carb?

Filters clean impulse and fuel line are new. Carb Fuel pump side got fuel in it. I don’t have a mighty vac. Might be next order of business. It’ll pop off all the fuel I dump in plug hole. Seems like nothing’s making it there otherwise. Gonna hafta keep messin with it.

My dad had a new ‘60 Buick gas guzzler big v8. He cut holes in the air cleaner and the mileage and performance improved?

It’s harder for the engine to suck in air and the fuel mix when it’s being choked off. I think the correct amount of added holes in the right spot or cutting the bottom edge of the top cover like a slot across the lower rear will help it suck fuel much easier and faster.

Porting is about making the intake flow easier into the carb, faster into the cylinder, plus make the exhaust flow mod better.

I don’t think we can hurt the intake it can only suck what it can handle. What about those velocity stacks with those bigger foam filters?

I worry about adding more openings around the top cover, are we adding more ways for the saw dust to enter the carb too? I have the nylon mesh and the welded steel mesh to epoxy over the open holes.

Don’t hurt to try with the experimental stuff. That’s kinda why I bought the huztl turd72xp Like knockin out ur cats. Easier in easier out. I think this turd needs better fuel supply.

The one I did it on was ported with an xt carb. I’ve ported other 372s since then without holes in the cover and was able to make them stronger.

Frogz skin is way cool
View attachment 772777 View attachment 772778
Objection! Irrelevancy.
Test by removing cap or in this case changing caps or taping off holes on the SAME saw. I have lost my filter cap on my 372's at times in the middle of the day and cut on. Only the heavy rain on the flock filter then you will notice performance change.

Is it getting impulse? Fuel line clear? Take the carb apart and have a look. Pressure test the carb?

Appears I ran into the dreaded tank vent issue. Didn’t know this was common but after lil research looks as though. After just a couple pulls the tank is vapor locked. I’m gonna rectify that n give the carb a chance.

Westboastfaller, you've got me questioning my own assumptions about there being air pressure in the intake box.
So I went out to test it on my own 372xt. I was not able to get a pressure reading through the idle screw hole in the top cover with my Mityvac. But I could definitely feel a good breeze coming out of that hole, especially at high revs.
Then I checked my rpm's, and got 13,400 with the top cover off; and 13,440 with the cover on.
So I don't know if I proved anything there or not, but I think the saw seems to get a bit of extra air pressure with the top on.

Objection! Irrelevancy.
Test by removing cap or in this case changing caps or taping off holes on the SAME saw. I have lost my filter cap on my 372's at times in the middle of the day and cut on. Only the heavy rain on the flock filter then you will notice performance change.
What do you mean Jamie!
Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 12.29.29 AM.png

Back