Resurfacing the bar rails.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A866F816-C793-419D-8438-2C1993ED79FB.jpeg First I use the 30” x 1” belt sander with the table set at 90 degrees to the sanding belt. I make quick light fast passes till both rails are parallel. Next is the chamfering of the square corners. the square corners of the chain can bind in the square corners of the bar if not chamfered correctly. It’s less friction on the chain if the square edges on the bar are chamfered. See drawing.

That’s what I purchased the HF 30” x 1” belt sander for to square and make parallel the bar rails then I chamfer the square edges inside the grooves and outside.

I used a flat file (mill bastard) forever. Then I realized my downhill ski edge file is perfect for bar rails. Perfect. That realization only took about 30 years. Quick learner, me.

:chainsaw: :angry:

This will work and easy to use.
shopping

This will work and easy to use.
shopping
Does it make the rails parallel? No inside and outside chamfer on the corners right?
I believe the square edge on the bar acts as more friction on the square edge of the chain. When I do the chamfers the chain seems to turn much easier.

I used a flat file (mill bastard) forever. Then I realized my downhill ski edge file is perfect for bar rails. Perfect. That realization only took about 30 years. Quick learner, me.

:chainsaw: :angry:

It took me sometime to learn how to sharpen saw chain too. Once I started winning in speed cutting I knew I learned it. The file n guide with holding both angles helps.

Skate sharpener.
Worth a laugh showing up with a bar at a place that has one.

I’d like to have a bar shop machine and start a chain n bar sharpening service. But how much can we charge for a complete bar n chain service.? Square the bar, chamfer, sharpen chain, gullet, rakers. Remove the bar from the saw check the rim or sprocket, clean the clutch area?
It’s not like sending your dog through a 10 minute car wash. If you can’t make $40-$50 an hour your time is wasted. Two saws per hour longer bars above 20” extra $$.

But the pressures of life with needing it yesterday, being retired would suck all over again.

Does it make the rails parallel? No inside and outside chamfer on the corners right?
I believe the square edge on the bar acts as more friction on the square edge of the chain. When I do the chamfers the chain seems to turn much easier.
Do you make your bar so chain will rock from side to side, allowing for curving cuts. That file will flatten, square top of rails and clean sides of bar of rollover.

Oregon once had a wedge type design chisel with a tapered bar closer. Don’t see it anymore.

I resurface and resquare my bars the minute they show any wear before they spread. It extents the life of the bar more too.

Check the condition of your sprocket and rim too before installing a new chain. There’s more to maintenance on the saw than we think. In the long run the saw won’t beat your wallet up keeping it fully maintained. A saw is a tool that some of us depend on to make money. Treat it bad or abuse it, karma will get you.

Oregon once had a wedge type design chisel with a tapered bar closer. Don’t see it anymore.

I resurface and resquare my bars the minute they show any wear before they spread. It extents the life of the bar more too.
I do also, but bar groove will wear larger just from normal wear using good oil and chain tensioned correctly.

Latest posts

Back