Tree identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can any one help me identify this tree? New to milling and just want to cut em all up! But definetly want it to be worth wile. I'm a rookie so I havent got a clue on tree species. Tried the tree identifier app and its way off. Thanks in advance
4aba5da0404263ffabb2b6523b3e374a.jpg
353bddb4187b71ec865dc0cdecd6d656.jpg
6bc694ce93407f03fd22150ae742bff5.jpg
d86e8a9fdb9e95d7ceeed27803844f76.jpg
Looks like a Water Oak to me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_nigra

My pine got the mold but not the oak. Would you recomend keeping the oak in garage? Of I put it outside in going to put a tent over it. A workers tent or beach tent the kind with no sides just a top. I have no plywood or anything like that
If you have sufficient space in the garage I would try leaving it there. Probably would want some sort of humidity gauge and a dehumidifier. It does create quite a distinctive smell doesn't it? A hay barn would be a better match.

That could work. I know one guy who says "hey google" and then a question into his smart phone. Hey google what are my local oak species.
I try that sometimes but often its too broad of a result. Depending on the subject. Or the pics that come up are hard to compare with.

If you have sufficient space in the garage I would try leaving it there. Probably would want some sort of humidity gauge and a dehumidifier. It does create quite a distinctive smell doesn't it? A hay barn would be a better match.
I actually dont hate the smell. Just smells like fresh wood to me and that's a good smell. I dont have the funds to purchase a dehumidifier or something to read it. I told myself im not spending anymore money on this! I sold 4 slabs right when I milled it so I actually am just under breaking even on investment $ for the mill gas and other tools needed 4X4 ECT..... Speaking of wich what do you guys sell a fresh slab for? Not dried or finished. Aroumd the size of 6' X 22" X 2" just curious if im in the ballpark at where I let them go. Anyway im just really worried about mold considering it just happening. And its showing slight cracking too so I think going outside will slow down drying process too

I stack a lot of my live edge Oak boards with bark on. I have one stack that is going on 4 years old and the bark is still holding tight. It's stacked under an overhang on my shed, with cheap plastic tarp on top. I have 5 more logs that came from the same job sitting out in the weather and all of the bark has come off. I have people that want bark on for mantle pieces.20190314_184800.jpg 20190314_184746.jpg

What do you call these trees in English, I have a hard time with google translate - just like a woman; this day it's this and the other day it was something else.

Softwood, grows fast and exceptionally straight with exceptionally straight and lightweight fibers, normally up to perhaps 20" in diameter, main material in the wood department for construction in my country.

RIMG0052.JPG

Probably some variety of spruce? Would have to see the needles and a close up of the bark to know for sure.

Ok, thanks. Google translate comes up with that too now, earlier it came up with fir wood.

Are the needles flat or are they square (4 sided) if they are flat its a variety of fir. If they are square sided and the bark is scaley its a spruce (typically, at least for the varieties that grow here)

Now we are talking!
Thanks again , I will find out tomorrow.

I did some searching on the English names and found on Wikipedia their Latin names.

So the wood on my pictures is called Picea on Latin, that is Spruce in English.
Fir is called Abies on Latin, this tree is very similar but have as I recall larger needles with a brighter green color.
The names on these two variations in my language is basically the same but Fir/Abies have an additional name to it.

Thanks for your effort, now I know the difference of Fir and Spruce.

I was told by my neighbor which have been a carpenter (now retired) that the wood they use in construction generally comes from areas where there is longer/colder winters, the reason is that in this case the trees stop growing in the winter making the wood denser/stronger.
The wood on my pictures are really light and would not be used in commercial construction, too warm and short winters makes the tree grow all year making the wood really light and less dense.
However I have got permission from the land owner to do whatever I want with all wood that is storm felled and it's a lot of it, there goes a couple of trees every autumn/winter storms too so I am just grateful.

What do you call these trees in English, I have a hard time with google translate - just like a woman; this day it's this and the other day it was something else.

Softwood, grows fast and exceptionally straight with exceptionally straight and lightweight fibers, normally up to perhaps 20" in diameter, main material in the wood department for construction in my country.

View attachment 772117
Could be Spruce, could be Fir
Spruce have short needles
Pine have long needles
Can't tell without the needles and the cones

I did some searching on the English names and found on Wikipedia their Latin names.

So the wood on my pictures is called Picea on Latin, that is Spruce in English.
Fir is called Abies on Latin, this tree is very similar but have as I recall larger needles with a brighter green color.
The names on these two variations in my language is basically the same but Fir/Abies have an additional name to it.

Thanks for your effort, now I know the difference of Fir and Spruce.

I was told by my neighbor which have been a carpenter (now retired) that the wood they use in construction generally comes from areas where there is longer/colder winters, the reason is that in this case the trees stop growing in the winter making the wood denser/stronger.
The wood on my pictures are really light and would not be used in commercial construction, too warm and short winters makes the tree grow all year making the wood really light and less dense.
However I have got permission from the land owner to do whatever I want with all wood that is storm felled and it's a lot of it, there goes a couple of trees every autumn/winter storms too so I am just grateful.

The wood used in conventional framing here (for houses) can be spruce, pine or fir. Your carpenter friend is correct that tighter growth rings (slower growing) will yield stronger wood, but around here all our lumber is second growth and most has larger rings.

Spruce makes really good plywood, its got good strength for its weight and its flexible.

That's a water oak, it's in the red oak family. Makes great lumber, firewood, cooking wood. Dry's fast and splits very if strait grained. It's a closed cell wood so it doesn't soak up water as fast as other oaks. It was one of the preferred oaks for ship building. They grow fast and shed limbs on a regular basis. Acorns are small and leaves are bell shaped. I have a bunch of them in my yard. I also moved thousands of them with a Big John tree machine.

Latest posts

Back