Stihl ms260 pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisturbeD

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So i picked this saw up about a week ago and it hadn't ran in awhile I was told. Not sure how long it sat for. I got the saw it had no gas in it so that was a bonus. Anyways I did all my normal checking for spark and compression before trying to run the saw it all checked out. So I put fresh gas in it and some bar oil. Didn't take much and it was running and ran great and idled good all that. Neighbor wanted to check it out so I took it over there an then noticed black crap coming from around the muffler. That's obviously my question. Did the old man that owned it put oil in the cylinder before letting it sit or do I have a different issue all together? I've had it running a few times but haven't cut anything with it yet an still got black crap coming out the muffler.

I added some probably not well taken pictures of the piston n rings n 1 side of the cylinder. Not much I can do with a cell phone

Attachments

• 20191115_135602.jpg
    20191115_135602.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 46
  • 20191115_232359.jpg
    20191115_232359.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 20191115_232155.jpg
    20191115_232155.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 26
  • 20191115_232313.jpg
    20191115_232313.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
So i picked this saw up about a week ago and it hadn't ran in awhile I was told. Not sure how long it sat for. I got the saw it had no gas in it so that was a bonus. Anyways I did all my normal checking for spark and compression before trying to run the saw it all checked out. So I put fresh gas in it and some bar oil. Didn't take much and it was running and ran great and idled good all that. Neighbor wanted to check it out so I took it over there an then noticed black crap coming from around the muffler. That's obviously my question. Did the old man that owned it put oil in the cylinder before letting it sit or do I have a different issue all together? I've had it running a few times but haven't cut anything with it yet an still got black crap coming out the muffler.
Its probably just old oil pushing out from sitting

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

You never know what type of oil the previous owner was using, I mean truthfully what was being used. I have serviced so many saws that were definitely using something other than what the owner told me they were using for mix and bar oil. If the saw is now running good mix oil it will sometimes dissolve old buildups of carbon and crud from the piston crown and exhaust port. I f the saw were mine I would pull the front cover off the muffler for a peek.

You never know what type of oil the previous owner was using, I mean truthfully what was being used. I have serviced so many saws that were definitely using something other than what the owner told me they were using for mix and bar oil. If the saw is now running good mix oil it will sometimes dissolve old buildups of carbon and crud from the piston crown and exhaust port. I f the saw were mine I would pull the front cover off the muffler for a peek.

Removing the muffler has been on my mind just haven't done it yet. Usually dont with saws that have good high compression but probably will just to check it out.

That crud coming out looks pretty thin. Like a flooded engine & unburnt fuel washing the carbons off.

That crud coming out looks pretty thin. Like a flooded engine & unburnt fuel washing the carbons off.

It certainly don't run like its flooded or getting to much fuel. But that's what a friend suggested as well or too rich of a mix maybe too. But that's why I asked cause idk. If anything I might take it to a dealer just to see.

How about a video with sound of starting it, running, revving a bit, looking at the exhaust etc?
That might be useful.

How about a video with sound of starting it, running, revving a bit, looking at the exhaust etc?
That might be useful.

Here is a video of it cutting I have it for sale now and someone asked to see it cut. I think it stopped doing what it was doing now.

Runs nice. It reminds me of taking a vehicle to a mechanic... "well it makes this sound when... oh, it's not there now!" lol

Back