Cracked glass on woodstove a mystery!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a Dovre Aurora woodstove that I've been using since 1993. I haven't used him in a few weeks; I haven't been in that room much lately. Tonight, I'm down there and I notice something on the glass-as I look closer, the glass has about a 5 inch crack in it on the lower right side! This was NOT there since the last fire; neither the wife or I did anything that would've caused it to crack-we have no kids in the house, only 4 cats but I doubt that they did anything to crack glass?! It's going on 14 years old-can glass just crack due to age, even if there's no fire going? Any help would be appreciated-thanks! :confused: :bang:

My stove glass cracked this morning. Bumping this thread to show how awesome the AS community is to provide help. Now that I know my stove "glass" is ceramic, I have no worries until I get it replaced. https://chimneysweeponline.com/howindow.htm
Did anything happen differently to it like a log banging into it or anything that might've caused it to crack?

301068F6-3787-4A24-B996-66EDCA6B2ED7.jpeg 31BB3AC6-CC3C-4057-BD7B-E56ADE644819.jpeg I’ve wondered about that also. Good article. I bought a spare glass when I bought my stove, 20 yrs ago. Haven’t needed.

When I am gone, or overnight, I put a yard sale folding fireplace screen in front of the glass about a foot out. If glass broke, the flying embers would be contained on the brick hearth by the screen. Does cut down the radiant heat transfer, at least theoretically, but I can live with that.

I was also concerned that if glass broke, uncontrolled air could be quite a runaway fire. I made a panel of heavy gauge metal cut out around latch and hinges, that I could open the door, put metal piece in place, close the door to clamp it in place and mostly cut down the air. Keep it behind the stove easily available. Never needed so far, but I also have house insurance and fire extinguishers: in the rare chance you need them, they better be in place already !

Replacement glass can run up to $200 for a stove and no it is not tempered glass. It is clear tile. If you put a gasket on both sides of window it will last much longer. when window is touching metal it does not do as well. I found a brand new 24'' door with window or glass for $10 so will see if I can cut it with a ceramic saw. Thanks

Back