Dumb Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one daughter who moved to Maine smart girl, one son who wants to move to Vermont. But Vermont is owned by 90% out of staters, it’s a rich mans play ground. Home prices and taxes are killer.
My other son is in ct with me different towns. Here taxes suc.

If a saw calls for one fuel mix (example 25:1) but you run what you want (40:1) why won't that hurt the saw? Looking through this site there is a LOT of arguments/suggestions on fuel mix. Wouldn't more oil in the mix make the power unit (weed trimmer, leaf blower, chainsaw, etc...) last longer? I realize on some of the smaller power units there just isn't enough motor to handle a lot of oil but when you get into the bigger power units and tuned properly, maybe run pretty good with out smoking bad and fouling spark plugs?

There is the debate of carbon build up, in theory some people will argue that carbon build up is a byproduct of more oil. Carbon build up is an issue in the dome of the cylinder head, in which it does two things

-creates a higher compression ratio the more it builds up, which leads to pre-ignition
-parts of the carbon build up can heat up and turn cherry red causing pre ignition.

If you have ever seen a chainsaw piston that has small dents and chunks missing around the top outer circumference this is probably why it happened.

You might now be asking how long this takes, well I’ll give you my own personal experience on that.

I run 32:1 and was using maxima k2 2 stroke oil. After one year I disassembled both my 550xp and 372xp, both of which were run off and on throughout the year. On both saws there was a small 1/2x1/2” patch of carbon up near the spark plug. Nothing really to write home about or worry about IMO.

No matter what people say there are saws that have been run equally long on 50:1 and 32:1.

However my preference is that more oil is better in which I think that a saw will last longer and can take more heated abuse on 32:1

Carbon build up is also unavoidable no matter what oil you use, at some point in the saws life you will have to manage it. This requires a tear down and cleaning of the cylinder head.

IMO carbon is much better controlled using the canned fuels rather than pump gas. If you want more oil, just add it to the can accordingly. This is much more expensive however

I hope that answers your question outdoorliving

Was looking at the specs on the big MS660. Their oil and its 50:1 and any one else's oil its 25:1. I assume they are using some form of synthetic oil V's regular oil so it actually uses less oil? I remember years ago I bought some fancy synthetic oil from the Honda dealer for my dirt bike. Mixed like normal and after only a few minutes it actually stalled the motor (fouled the plug) because the oil was so thick. Had to thin the heck out of it to run it. Went back to regular oil after that. I guess all engines build up carbon, a two stroke just does it a little quicker with oil in the gas, would the ash-less oil help out a little in this case?

Stihl can’t control what other oils you might use so 25:1 is a safe statement in their manual. Whatever oil it is that has the Stihl name on the bottle is probably a full synthetic and can be used at 40:1 or 50:1 just like every other full synthetic.

This is not complicated. Just buy the lowest octane ethanol free gas you can find and add synthetic oil.

Can the clutch sprocket size be changed out to change the speed of the chain? Like you would on a go kart or mountain bike per say? Not all saws would benefit of course but you take a lower rpm BIG saw with all the torque you could want, speed up the chain a little and watch it eat!

Back