Crankcase tester

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all I have tow saws and one carb I would like to pressure test but cant find a hand pump. I have a cheaper mity vac for the vacuum. But cant frind anything for positive pressure. Thank you

Hello all I have tow saws and one carb I would like to pressure test but cant find a hand pump. I have a cheaper mity vac for the vacuum. But cant frind anything for positive pressure. Thank you
Blood pressure bulb, or a bicycle pump works well.

71CAwWi7lJL._SL1500_.jpg
I have seen guys use a big syringe to do both.

If you have nothing else you can blow enough pressure with your mouth and then crimp the hose with a small vice grip. I you don't have a gauge you can dunk the case in some water and look for bubbles or spray some WD40 around the seals and look for bubbles.

If you have nothing else you can blow enough pressure with your mouth and then crimp the hose with a small vice grip. I you don't have a gauge you can dunk the case in some water and look for bubbles or spray some WD40 around the seals and look for bubbles.
It clears your ears too!

I hook mine up to my air compressor. I have a needle valve to control flow and a fuel pressure gauge Tee’d in to monitor pressure. This way I can put 5-7lbs I’d pressure on the saw and spray with soapy water to see where the leak is. Way more easy then constantly pumping on a hand pump.

In the winter I will bring saws in the basement to work on and I found a tiny air compressor that was used on a hobby air brush kit that works good.

I would imagine a regular air regulator wouldn’t work so good as they might have a hard time regulating down so low.

:numberone:
Just use a purge primer.
They are capable of developing 15psi, or .5 bar of vacuum, and will hold it with it's built in check valves.
Get a compound guage; (shows both positive and negative) out of a cheapo fuel pressure guage kit from Harbor Freight, then a tee fitting and some hose.

Back