What bar lengths you all running on the 70cc saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run 24" bars on my 460R, 461R, and only a 20" on my new 461.

Then again, I only have a 24" on my 066...

I like a big powerhead and a shorter bar. There's very few trees in Oklahoma or Arkansas that I can't get with a 24" bar and a little creativity.

Personally, I'd buy the saw with 28" as the markup is very low for the longer bar. Then I'd grab a 20" lite bar, Sugihara, Tsumura, or Stihl for every day usage and call it a day.

Well, yesterday I ordered a new 462 and ended up ordering one with a 28" bar and will be buying a Tsumura 24" here shortly that will sit on her most of the time along with a 20". Since I only want Tsumura and Stihl would not sell saw without bar/chain I went with 28" at time of order to use in those very odd cases. the 28" will just hang on the wall is my guess but I will have it if needed. Thanks guys for the suggestions.

I’m between 28-32. The saw should have plenty of power with either, and for a guy my height I don’t have to bend over much at all with the 28. If you’re taller a 32 is a better option.

Keeping good posture is more important than saving some weight, from what I’ve seen with the older people I’ve worked with.

I’m between 28-32. The saw should have plenty of power with either, and for a guy my height I don’t have to bend over much at all with the 28. If you’re taller a 32 is a better option.

Keeping good posture is more important than saving some weight, from what I’ve seen with the older people I’ve worked with.

Taller people frequently have longer arms so I'd guess they might hold the saw at about the same height as shorter folks.

Well, yesterday I ordered a new 462 and ended up ordering one with a 28" bar and will be buying a Tsumura 24" here shortly that will sit on her most of the time along with a 20". Since I only want Tsumura and Stihl would not sell saw without bar/chain I went with 28" at time of order to use in those very odd cases. the 28" will just hang on the wall is my guess but I will have it if needed. Thanks guys for the suggestions.
Congrats on the new saw.

I like a 20 or a 24 for most my 70cc cutting, but have 28's and 32's if needed.

Usually 25".

My 60cc saws run 20", and 80-90cc I have 25" and 28". All are 3003 mount stihls, chains 3/8 0.050, so I can mix and match.

The 20" when I don't need a 25" and rounds are getting too big for 60cc saws. The 28" when rounds are getting big for 25" and I don't want to break out the bigger saws.

I run a 25" on my Stihl 441rcm. I have never had the need for a longer bar, you can cut some pretty big trees with a 25", bigger than we want to handle. If a 25" can't get through it, I don't think I want to be fighting those big rounds lol

Told my dealer to give me a price PHO for my 462 as I have plenty of bars. No problem. I have been running a 20" on it but have up to a 32" if needed. I stay away from real big wood if I can. The 462 does a great job noodling big oak rounds.

70cc will pull 20-32”. Get a bar that will match the wood you commonly cut. I run a 20” as that is what I find mostly in the wood I’m cutting. I could pull a 24” with the saw of choice but I’m always leaving 4” or better sticking beyond the trunk or digging the dirt.

My ported 70cc wears a 28” all the time all though i have a 20” for it also.

It’s mostly where it fits in as I have smaller saws with shorter bars.
If it was my only saw, it would have the 20” mostly mounted.

Our trees on this land are either big (Hem,DougFir, Western Maple) or small (alder).
I leave the 28” for the big trees.

What bar lengths you all running on your 70cc saws as a standard? I pretty much think I have my mind made up on a 462 and need to call the dealer here this morning to order. Just cant decide to order the saw with a 25" or 28". I can really only see me really running a 25" but want to get a Tsmura bar in place of Stihl so may just order it with a 28" and store it for those odd chances I may need it and buy a Tsumura a 24" for regular business.
West coast 28” ES Light style for me.

Ok my saws setups,

‘80’s husky 240sg. 16”/325 lg chain chisel,
Husky 353 16”/325/ semi chisel
Husky 266 se. 18”/3/8” LP chain chisel
Husky 575xp 28”/3/8” skip semi chisel.
Husky 480 cd 18”/3/8” chisel
Husky 385xp 32”/3/8” skip semi chisel
Husky 2100cd 16”//18” /24”/404” chisel chain.
Husky 2101 Xp backup saw normally a 24” .404” chisel

It’s depending on the diameter of wood with the bigger cc saws but I never changed bars that much on the smaller cc saws. The big cc saws did the grunt of the fellin /buckin. I don’t like to over load a smaller cc saw with a bigger bar. But if my permit contract time wise is almost up it’s the 2100 with the 16” or 18” bar.

Btw, we do have big trees in the northeast, state forests. I don’t like to harvest the white oaks if I can the first choice of the deer is white acorns.

Latest posts

Back