Cold weather affects our saws too.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I have read about using 10% kerosene in the bar oil to get it to flow properly at below freezing temps. I find my saws have to be re-tuned even if they have been sitting in a warm house before using in cold weather, when the cold air hits them they instantly start to run lean. This is with older saws of course, some of the newer ones have auto tune and warm air bleed systems to help with the problem.
All of the saws will have problems in really cold weather with the recoil if you have grease or heavy oil in there instead of thin oil, the rope will return in slow motion making starting a real chore. ATF or 0-20 synthetic should work well if you are forced to use them when its that cold.
The Germans in ww2 learned the hard way in the frigid temperatures of the Russian front that their guns froze solid if they used ANY oil in them, the Russians actually assembled theirs with no oil to get them to work.
I went winter camping one year with some friends when I was young and stupid, it got 40 below one night and froze the old snowmobiles solid, which was our only escape from the remote lake we were on. I managed to get my machine running by taking the spark plugs out, heating them up in the campfire and then putting them quickly back in the machine before the starting attempt.
I pity someone who has to work in temperatures that cold with a chainsaw!

After having pneumonia three times I wore the one piece, with rear trap door red long johns, I haven’t been sick again. I was cutting all winter I thought 0-10 degrees was tough, I can’t imagine -40?

I am surprised few people take into account that two strokes need to be watched. Cool weather has a big effect on saw performance. It is likely easier to burn up a saw in cold weather than in hot weather. All two strokes need adjusting when the weather changes much.

Cold weather has never effected me working with wood. Average cold day in California is between 10 and 20 F not 20 below very often. When it is 35 F and rain now that starts to be an issue after a couple of hours. I almost never wear gloves when using a saw, but loading wood that is wet with snow that starts to hurt. Thanks

My saws stay in the basement where it's nice and toasty...well...toasty compared to outside anyway.

I'd keep them in the kitchen where I could admire them more often...but the wife wouldn't be impressed with that.

My chest freezer is my winter workbench lol. Rubber cupboard liner with cardboard on-top to slow/absorb any spills and usually a large rag doubled up. All 3 saws are inside, non ethanol gas with Sta-Bil Storage.

I can't recall ever doing anything outside below zero.
Anyway, all saws stored in heated garage.

I prefer wood cutting in 30's and 40's.

Latest posts

Back