Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from the movies. Wife even liked it, we saw Midway. Very accurate factually, fantastic movie. No wonder we call them the Last Great Generation. Most of that age in today’s world, my grandkids ages, are generally a bunch of candy azz snowflakes. Wife even said on the way home that if we had to depend on them in the same way we better figure out what language we want to learn to speak.

but D - you do make a point! and... no doubt a good one, too. can you just imagine?... the landing craft... maybe desert tanks... heading to the front lines... and the 'squad'... all got cell fones out... texting n surfing the 'net! or got their 'attack apps' open... lol ;)

Sgt: " ok men!!... charge.....!!!"

Pvt: hey sarge!... 'what'z up?... my fone's already charged!'

:rolleyes:

Cold as balls out but a beauty day for a small scrounge. Little Ironwood that the small craftsman with the muffler mod and Stihl picco chain took care of until I got close to the stump. Then the 460 got a brief run. I definitely do like small light saws!
452cfcdc6aa008467c5b2c1f6c6c752a.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Jeez, it'd help if he could hit the same spot twice! That wasn't you, was it BFS?

I haven't lost the spirit to tangle with difficult splitting wood yet, but I'll admit I do pick my battles a bit more carefully than I did a few years ago. Back then, if it didn't split, you just weren't hitting it hard enough.

No not me Cowboy, I'm glad I don't have to cut that stuff to keep warm, much rather stick with the Stringy, Peppermint and other gums than have to deal with wood like that every time.

Yesterday I went to get a load of white oak with a bit of cherry. Got it all loaded, the kids even helped on some of the small stuff which was nice.
20191115_133108.jpg All loaded and ready to go, but whoops it warmed up a little much :rare2:.
20191115_134938.jpg So I had to drop the trailer after my dad tried pulling me out with his and dug just as deep first tug. My truck came out easily once the trailer was dropped. Looled at the weather this morning and could see it was now or never since it got down to 21 last night so I headed over to give it a try. Hooked up at an angle so I could pull one side out of the ruts the trailer was in at a time, and presto it came right out. I didn't slow down a bit and made a mad dash for the road, the whole time I could feel the trailer dragging in the soft yard, hopefully it didn't do to much damage :).

I've had a stihl picco chain I could not touch the rakers on. the teeth filed back fine, but several, not all, but several of the rakers wer hard as glass, not a scratch could i put on them. that was with a stihl file
Funny thing is that was the reason I went back to picco, when I was running low pro on the 241. Trying a bunch of different brands some were too soft, and the Chinesium chains had metal that was a crap shoot ranging from wet spaghetti to almost ungrindable (forget about even trying to file them), from one link to the next.

Everybody I asked said they were amazed how much sharper and how much longer the chains lasted as opposed to sharpening on the bar.
There is no (practical) way that a cutter can be held as solid in the bar groove as it can with a vise.

Filing a securely held cutter also lets you use both hands to control the file.

Philbert

Forgot our wedding anniversary yesterday so I promised Cowgirl I would give her a good hot load of hard wood today to make up for it.

18th Nov 1.jpg

This was a mostly solid peppermint that fell across one of the tracks at my mate's farm. I had already cut up a couple of smaller logs, nothing to write home about. Once I got the log clear of the root ball the end hanging over the track did a nice job of raising the bit I was cutting off the ground. It was on more of a slope than it looks so I had a couple of rounds there on end to prevent escapees.

18th Nov 2.jpg

18th Nov 3.jpg

The four rounds at the track end were half rotten from termites but the rest was good.

18th Nov 4.jpg

18th Nov 5.jpg

Just a bit under half a cord but it was a nice day in the outdoors.

:)

@Philbert - just a wee observation about my wee Makita 18v top handle saw I got a while ago. It is supposed to have a controller that limits the power draw to not cook the batteries, like all of Makita's star-labelled products and batteries. I'm not convinced about that because even though I have seven batteries bought at different times, every single one has remarkably degraded at the same time to the point they don't hold anything like the charge they used to. I am putting it down to the CS drawing more than it should - it can really cook a battery (almost too hot to touch) on prolonged cuts. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

Steve taught me a valuable lesson awhile back. "If it doesn't split in 3 hits it gets noodled or left for the hydro".
That's what I've been doing too, if it's too hard and doesn't show signs of cracking soon I just put the chainsaw log splitter through em and that sorts em out. With a bit of luck this little log splitter will make lite work of it all too.

Back