What is this knot called

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIMMPYIII

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I use this as an easier to tie mid-line knot as an alternative to the alpine butterfly.

It is also easier to get undone after a massive load has been put on it than the butterfly.

The only disadvantage I can see is it would be mildly easier to come undone if you wanted to use it to isolate a damaged section of rope.

I use this as an easier to tie mid-line knot as an alternative to the alpine butterfly.

It is also easier to get undone after a massive load has been put on it than the butterfly.

The only disadvantage I can see is it would be mildly easier to come undone if you wanted to use it to isolate a damaged section of rope.

dont know the knots name but your cats enjoying the rope game so much,,, perhaps name knot after the cat eh :)

I was actually at a Scout event a month ago and one of the guys showed me that. I want to say Alpine loop. I can find butterfly but that's a little different.

Maybe Farmers loop?

Mystery solved.
Any knot that can hold the load, control the strain by not stressing the rope and untie easy fits the bill and worth remembering.

Ugly bastard though, looks overtly complex for a midline knot!!

Am a big exponent of the alpine butterfly, use frequently in rock & tree situation, amongst others. Simple, tie with one hand, upside down etc, adjust loop length on the fly. That 'thing' looks like a butterfly gone mad....

Ugly bastard though, looks overtly complex for a midline knot!!

Am a big exponent of the alpine butterfly, use frequently in rock & tree situation, amongst others. Simple, tie with one hand, upside down etc, adjust loop length on the fly. That 'thing' looks like a butterfly gone mad....
Haven't seen you around before, so welcome to AS.
Give that ugly thing a try, breaks open fairly easy after a good load, nice to have options.
What midline do you use for pulling?

Haven't seen you around before, so welcome to AS.
Give that ugly thing a try, breaks open fairly easy after a good load, nice to have options.
What midline do you use for pulling?

Mostly lurk amongst large trees on other side of the planet. Alpine butterfly followed me from rock climbing, great for rigging multi-directional anchors. Sexy knot in my opinion, climby girls love it. Think my hands would tie an AB over the farmers mutant potato automatically....

For big pulls (i.e: loading up a big leaning bole with one of the trucks) will generally use a double headed figure eight, often with release toggle. Again, knot is often used in vertical rescue rigging, each bight of the anchor end can be attached to separate anchors, spare loop at load end can be used for belay line, or clifftop tether. Big knot to tie, especially on big lines, can be ugly if not dressed well.

For lighter loads, sometimes an alpine butterfly, prefer equal weighing in each direction, not common for pulls, sometimes double half hitch on a bight (easy to untie). Overhand slipper gets a run for hauling up saws, water etc as can flick it out one handed.

( Not so sure how to insert images here)

Attachments

• Low range 2.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 12

a three ring Bowline.

What is the advantage of that over this loop?
Doesn't bind down even on very heavy pulls, two loops increase overall knot strength. Also I found it easier to verify that it's tied correctly with a quick glance.
Real hard pulls I'll set up a Porta wrap on the truck or machine or whatever we're pulling with

While on the subject of knots:

Can someone recommend a knot to attach 10# test braided fishing line to 4# monofilament? [emoji848]

Mostly I use a blood knot hooking mono to mono but in this case it fails miserably. [emoji2959]
You'll need to add more wraps, spit on it so it will slide, once you set it trim the tails as close as you can, I like the reverse nail trimmers for that.

Doesn't bind down even on very heavy pulls, two loops increase overall knot strength. Also I found it easier to verify that it's tied correctly with a quick glance.
Real hard pulls I'll set up a Porta wrap on the truck or machine or whatever we're pulling with
Not sure why I never thought of using a porty here lol. I'll use the farmers loop or a butterfly after a couple overlapping passes around the bucket of the tractor and a steel beaner and I've only had one turn into a knife knot, but I'm stubborn and got it out after fighting with it for a while.
Pulling hard leaner over many times I pull my skidding winch cable though a crotch/around a branch then back down to just above the cuts and use a chain.
Lots of options to get it done depending in what you have for equipment on a job.

Back