What saw next?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a lot to learn before i'm confident dropping trees. I got this specifically to try to run with my friends bucking the bigger stuff (and cutting logs down to dealable lengths once we finish what we have).

As far as bending... we try to do it like this whenever possible. :)

20191109_200434.jpg

Ms362c-m. You should get an ms362c-m.

Btw i should add i wasn't being rude when i said needing a 462c-m + lots of boost.
I have run a 462c-m on the other end of logs in the excavator jaws to a 660/661c-m and kept my friend on the other end waiting. Over 4 or 5 cuts i was generally about a cut behind.

Both saws tuned by and chains sharpened by the same guy.

It turned up on friday and i finally got a chance to spend some quality time with it this afternoon.

First impressions are, "it needs some love".
He left a few issues out of the description, but as it was only 2/3rds the price of the next cheapest one I've seen for sale, a few surprises should have been expected.

She's a bit rough and will need some parts replaced but so far the repairs are going smoothly.

It is running, but needs the idle lowered a little. It sprayed some oil but i want to check/adjust the oiler before i start using it.

20191117_210331.jpg

'04 model?

20191117_205855.jpg

20191117_210015.jpg

20191117_210209.jpg

Case damage, exhaust beaten up + the tank seems to be sitting crooked.

20191117_171508.jpg

The cylinder cover is forked. The crack doesn't look bad in the pictures but it is completely broken through and the halves move around. You can see the wear from where it has been run with the top cover not sitting in place properly.
The RHS screw is missing and the front screw is siezed so getting it off to inspect is a problem for another day.
I was quoted A$65 for a replacement cylinder cover so it might be easier going that route than finding a second hand piece and getting it shipped. i need to order an air cleaner, some bolts, a clutch retaining washer and i think some AV rubbers anyway.

Over the phone he said it came with 1 good sharp chain. Well err, the chain had a sharp edge on it.

20191117_210706.jpg

20191117_210605.jpg

The add said "bar was recently replaced". Since then it had been run with the chain above. Cooked in spots, redressed at least once before and in dire need of dressing/squaring again. Probably a good .5mm (.020") plus out of square in spots.
My first time dressing and squaring a bar was really satisfying.

As it was. \/

20191117_220847.jpg

It is a work in progress. So far it has had the bar done, gotten a new sprocket, 3 new chains, had the clutch bearing greased etc etc.

These is also something funky going on with the AV set up. Time to study the IPLs.

If you made it to the end of the post you are very persistent. :D

Attachments

• 20191117_191845.jpg
    20191117_191845.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
This afternoons job was to work out what was going on with the AV and try to loosen a stuck screw on the cylinder cover.

It turned into an hour and a half struggle with the front handle.

The front handle was bent and twisten in all 3 planes. Someone had obviously worked on it to try to get it to fit better but it was way off. This was putting a serious twist along the belly of the fuel tank. It was also pulling the cylinder AV spring way forward.

20191118_210455.jpg

For a while i thought it had me beaten and would need replacing before i could use the saw. I kept at it. Now it is still far from right but it aligns a little better with the cylinder AV, is flat across the bottom and is pulling the twist out of the tank.
This seems to have tightened up the AV considerably.
There are still two rubbers missing, so they will go on the ever expanding parts order.

20191118_210759.jpg
One of the missing rubber bits prior to straightening the handle.

If a front handle turns up cheap enough i might grab it, but for now this one will do.

The cylinder cover screw still awaits.

Latest posts

Back