Stihl Cylinder Swap 032 into 031?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Burning Rom

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was given a box that contained most of what used to be an 031 (as well as a complete 020, but that's on the shelf for now). I've decided to rebuild the saw just for fun. I picked up a new crankcase on the cheap for it. The crank and piston are good. The cylinder is also good (isn't scored or marked at all), however the threads for one of the muffler mount bolts have been completely destroyed. I know the previous owner...he wasn't one to tighten loose bolts...which is part of why I had to junk the original crankcase as well. Anyway, I could probably drill it and re-tap it for a slightly larger bolt. Or, would it be possible to swap an 032 cylinder/piston set onto the 031 crankcase? I know the saws used different crankcases, but the crank itself was the same...and most of the rest of the saw was pretty similar. Even the pictures of the 32 cylinder I've seen look almost identical to the 031 cylinder. It would just be a matter of it bolting up to the carb/muffler/crankcase, and fitting under the top handle. Anyone know if it does all three of the above?

Thanks!

The 031 and 032 P&C are the identical - same part numbers. But do you have a spare 031 cylander? Shame to waste one just on a stripped thread, I've retap it with an oversize thread. Or look at getting it repaired by a good dealer with a Timesert or similar

Thanks for the reply. I finally found the IPLs last night for both saws and I did see that both the 44mm and 45mm cylinders were available for the 031. I didn't know that. I always thought the 45mm was only on the 032. So that's good the larger one will fit. I have the 44mm cylinder right now.

I don't have a spare, but I'm pretty sure I can find one. The other cylinder won't go to waste. I'll keep it around in my boxes of saw parts. I'll have put a lot of time and probably money into this saw resto by the time I'm done though...might as well make everything perfect :) which will be hard to do when trying to match the paint on parts that need a re-paint....with the parts that are band new.

Back from the dead...

Does anyone have the part number for the 45mm cylinder?

Edit: sorted. Mahle KS298/2A (casting number or part number ???) is 45mm. :)

There were 2 NOS "031av" cylinders posted for sale locally. It turns out 1 is 44mm and 1 is 45mm. :D

now to find a NOS piston.

Back