Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After missing that monster, I gotta think of times like yesterday where it all just clicked and we got a nice one.

hi Mech - I think we all got a memory of an afternoon or morning hunt and that happened. it's something one never forgets. I have several I can still see as plain as day! even the one when I was 5 years old and mountain hunting elk with my dad. thick woods. steep terrain. high up... cold. we were together. he said, son... why don't you go around that down pine (big un) and go up that ways and I will go this ways. I was just about :cold: in my boots! 'no-o!', I belched out to my dad. just about that time loud cracking noise and... a monster female elk jumps up from the other side of that big downed pine... and thunders on up the hill! OMG!.. and it was mid to late afternoon... and light snow on the terrain in the forest.

the ol' man swings and puts the barrel and scope right on that animal and follows it up the slope. 8 mm Mauser, scope, custom hand loads... he built the sported deer hunter from a stock German Mauser... but doesn't fire! tells me later... "didn't shoot it, too far from camp, too late in day... and din't want to hike it out with snow coming in!"

one of those :eek: moments a young kid never... I say... never forgets!

zbee.jpg

it was a swell Sunday today. while out walking my pups in the morning... noted a handful of my neighbors had a bunch of dropped limbs etc. perfect for camp fires. some 5/6"... or thereabouts. mostly all oak. like free :envy:I wanted! so not too cool, not too warm, temps just right! and a nice day for a Sunday stroll... to get out and say Hi to some of the neighbors... :D

so, I did just that. wheelbarrow, saw, gloves, goggles etc and my new wood scrounger scrounged 'side of road' workbench. lightweight...

this old boy who lives here is at least 85+! putz about. his pecan tree dropped these. I put my campfire wood meter up to them... bit iffy, but needle just in the Green! works for me. interesting... bird? squirrel? hollowed out limb thin. doorway, too. finally gravity won! good enuff for my needs. carry in back pocket kinda stuff... beggars can't be [too] choosy! lol I cut it up on the curb...
P4280012.JPG P4280013.JPG

now the ol boy wont have to worry about getting rid of the down wood.

trimmed up these 2nd level camp fire twigs! across the street from old pecan. put old tips/leaves on his pile. made frt yard bit cleaner for them... for my needs I want the small stuff, too! don't like to run out, not that I ever really do! pine trees, you know... lol

P4280014.JPG
free BTU's...

wheelbarrow getting fuller...

ended up with a pretty nice Sunday scrounge. well, imo. perfect for my needs and wants. some aged well, some aged even bit more! lol. but all pass scrounge meter test... and all burnable. I would say an easy 1/10th cord! last load not in pix or wheelbarrow...

P4280027.JPG

just business as usual along my street. stuff comes down like stocks in a bear market. daily sometimes. I don't get all of it, but I get a lot of it... if I miss it, nbd! it rains the stuff in my neighborhood regularly! all in all, pretty happy with today's stroll and scrounged load. :D

:yes:

Happy Belated Birthday BYLJ … I was away for a few days!

after all that scrounging, next order of the day was :cheers: and then I started a mesquite fire bed of really hot, mequite red hot coals in mr Brutus to grill up my Birthday dinner which was two days belated. lol delicious. grilled chicken tenders for the QB ~ Angus NY Strip for the woodcutter - mesquite from the farm...

camp fire going while I scrounged... rearranged bits oak and added mesquite...

P4280026.JPG P4280034.JPG P4280046.JPG P4280047.JPG

chicken tenders for the QB... perfect med rare strip... cooked over searingly hot mesquite wood coals...

nailed it! MR imo, u can pay more, but doubt u can get better! totally awesome steak dinner. grilled over mequite coals. sides: hand-cut fries, & sliced tomato salad, too. ~P4280039.JPG P4280048.JPG P4280050.JPG P4280049.JPG

chicken and strip fork tender... do I have any regrets? lol... sure... no left overs! ;)

is this where the handmade table n benches is by you MM? I was thinking about it when I saw the hunting pix... maybe eating some heart or backstrap later in evening on it for supper.

Yes, we had Buck Tenderloin on my Oak table in the cabin! And the deer is now hanging (aging) on a limb of a Walnut tree at my house. Luckily it is above freezing down here (rained last night) so I hope the skin thaws so it comes off later this week.

This is the Mustang Mach E. An electric crossover. Not meant to replace the current mustang. Glad to see some of the big auto makers are forging ahead with electric cars.
I do agree with Mike, there is nothing like the sound of a V8. Although that EcoBoost stang is faster than quite a few of the previous GT's from years past.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Back