044 / 046 hybrid help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wv311

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an older 044 that runs great and has no issues of any kind. I recently picked up a 046 that got smashed by a tree. The cases are cracked and the rear handle and fuel tank are also junked. Would it be worth my while to swap the jug and piston from the 46 over to the 44 ? Also is it that simple to swap it over ?

It does need to be a 12mm as there are no 10mm 046 pistons. If I were in your position I would look for an 044 builder to make the hybrid out of. Small amounts of mechanical skill and the right tools (die grinder, dremel, fordom, etc.) and the hybrid can be built. When I did mine I had to replace the crank bearings as well so that requires some kind of press.

You can get an idea by serial number <129xxx are usually 10mm, and by fine angel, straight ot slanted but thats not always accurate. Look for a red choke w switch is an indicator of an earlier model 10mm also.

Unfortunately the saws are too old for serial numbers to be a reliable means of identifying them. I have only seen one 10mm saw in my life and I have seen 3 12mm saws whose serial number fell into the supposed 10mm serial range.

That's a 12mm wrist pin saw but looks to have the desireable "10mm" topend. They were used on some early 12mm saws.
Out of curiosity, what’s the advantage of an 046 top end, over a 044 big bore top end?

Out of curiosity, what’s the advantage of an 046 top end, over a 044 big bore top end?
Many

The big bore 044 jugs have a widened bore but the same transfers, so the bore encroaches on the transfers and they don’t flow as well.

Nothing matches the fitness of an oem jug. Even after many many hours in experiences hands on an AM Jug , it’s hard to beat OEM ports and the oem will still run better.

An 046 Jug isn’t an exact bolt-on. It requires some extra work but it’s worth it.

Many

The big bore 044 jugs have a widened bore but the same transfers, so the bore encroaches on the transfers and they don’t flow as well.

Nothing matches the fitness of an oem jug. Even after many many hours in experiences hands on an AM Jug , it’s hard to beat OEM ports and the oem will still run better.

An 046 Jug isn’t an exact bolt-on. It requires some extra work but it’s worth it.

I should mention that it takes very little work to get the 046 jug to fit. It's not much more than slightly adjusting the mounting holes and clearance the flywheel side transfer bulge to clear the flywheel, I think it took me 20 minutes to get mine fit up.

Latest posts

Back