Wood Stove Loading Direction?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Be Stihl

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am sure it has been debated but I am fairly new to burning and was wondering which way may be better and in what ways. My wood box is 11” deep and 20” wide, so all my wood is cut to 18”. I was thinking about cutting up some of my pieces in half so I can load them front to back as the air enters my stove in the front. Is it worth the extra steps to process some sticks this way? Would it burn hotter, faster, slower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like loading mine length wise front to back. But mine is about 20 inchs deep and 24 wide. My old stove was like yours and i just loaded the wood side ways. Just gotta watch stuff dont roll out.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

My firebox is square so I can put wood in either way. I find it works best from the door to the back, or north-south. Like someone else mentioned, rolling forward can be a pain, but maybe yours has more of a lip on it. Be an interesting experiment to cut some shorter pieces and try it..

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I actually build a damn with slabs to block direct airflow to exhaust.....don't laugh, it's effective.
Forces flame and heat straight up and limits exhausted heat.

I know.....throw the damn wood in and shut the door.

Bottom line.

Stack with the wood grain going the same direction the air moves in will make the wood burn faster and hotter and light up easier.

If the grain is going the opposite direction the air is coming in it burns and lights MUCH slower and longer.

It is always safer to stack so wood wont roll out the door or roll i to the glass. That is MOST IMPORTANT IMO. Last thing you want is a log to roll into the glass and crack it. It’s definitely possible but unlikely.

I like loading N to S as my air comes in at the bottom front right under the door as well as comes down the front of the glass door.

N/S lets me load more wood without worrying about it falling on the door

I have a PE Summit

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I am sure it has been debated but I am fairly new to burning and was wondering which way may be better and in what ways. My wood box is 11” deep and 20” wide, so all my wood is cut to 18”. I was thinking about cutting up some of my pieces in half so I can load them front to back as the air enters my stove in the front. Is it worth the extra steps to process some sticks this way? Would it burn hotter, faster, slower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Experiment! That's part of the fun. Try different ways and see what results you get.

Bottom line.

Stack with the wood grain going the same direction the air moves in will make the wood burn faster and hotter and light up easier.

If the grain is going the opposite direction the air is coming in it burns and lights MUCH slower and longer.

It is always safer to stack so wood wont roll out the door or roll i to the glass. That is MOST IMPORTANT IMO. Last thing you want is a log to roll into the glass and crack it. It’s definitely possible but unlikely.

We take advantage of this in the hunting cabin. We run the grain in line with the air flow when we're getting the stove up to temp in the morning and then when we stack it up for the night, we run them 90º to that so it burns slower and lasts longer.

I've got a little Jotul 602, not much leeway there. It's so small that one of the guys at work accused me of swiping pencils when it gets really cold outside.

Despite the jokes E/W , N/S I find air flow the key? Any stove with secondary combustion fuel needs to be placed to take advantage of that. Sometimes I get more fire of the secondaries than the wood itself.

Who would have thought you could burn smoke....

I have a drolet 2000. I have found that east and west the wood lasts a little longer . Manual states north to south the wood burns faster but less chance of glass breakage from wood hitting the glass . I don't throw rounds in and have never had wood roll around in the firebox.

I always did N/S but experimented with E/W this year. As a couple others have stated, N/S burns faster but hotter and E/W is slower burning but I seem to get more action from the secondaries. I also agree that withe small dimensions in one direction of your stove I would NOT be cutting 10-12" chunks.

I have a drolet 2000. I have found that east and west the wood lasts a little longer . Manual states north to south the wood burns faster but less chance of glass breakage from wood hitting the glass . I don't throw rounds in and have never had wood roll around in the firebox.

That is Pyrex glass and it's tough stuff. I highly doubt it will break from a piece of wood rolling over and hitting it.

Back