Briggs 8k Portable Generator: Voltage drop with throttle increase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clattin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a B&S Elite 8000 generator. Its been sitting for a year in the garage without running. I'd put stablizer in the fuel so the engine started right up.

With the throttle at its lowest setting, I'm getting a solid 130 volts out of the outlets. When I run the throttle up to max, the voltage immediately drops on all the outlets to about 3.7 volts. The only way to get it back up is to shut the engine off and restart. I've tried just shutting the electrical board off and tried to reset the circuit breakers but that doesn't have any effect.

Thoughts? Its got me stumped!

Thanks!
Chris

Does it have brushes? Or brushless.
Sometimes oxidation on sliprings keeps the brushes from having full contact. But I'd think there'd be low output constantly if that was the case.
Week rectifier/regulator assembly?
When you plug in a load does it automatically sense that and bump the RPMs or is this an older model all manual adjustments?

I'm pretty sure it has brushes. Its manual, it does not increase RPM's automatically. It has a throttle lever.

Chris

Pull the brushes, make sure they slide in and out of the rigging easyily.

Look in at the slip rings. See if they have either a shiny glaze or dark smudging. If so they need to get cleaned. Super fine Emery 1000grt or scotch bright. They make devices for industrial maint that are low abrasive blocks(stones), but made from something like compressed baking soda. They are are gently pressed against the slip rings while gen-set is running, brushes removed. I've done this motor OFF with fine Emery. Turn the motor a little at a time. Some brushes have a little metal embedded in the brush. This self cleans but wears slip rings faster.

Back