Do you use sealant and a gaskit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Going to pick your brains, do you use sealant and a gasket when you reassemble the case halves and the cylinder, or can I get by just fine with the gaskit alone for my 260?

Also do you apply a sealant to the oil seal outer rim?

I have Dirko but it means cleaning up the sealant next time I strip the saw and it’s a PITA.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I use a very thin layer of motoseal as cheap insurance.

You say "next time I strip the saw"... how often you splitting cases on a 260?!? Every saw I've split that had (presumably) the factory gasket I had to clean up the old gasket anyway...

Ah maybe I was just lucky, mine peeled off easily, even though it was 20 years old! HaHa that’s a great point - not often ha, but It didn’t come from the factory with any so if I can do without and people do it commonly i’d rather that route :) That said, the seals didn’t have any sealant on and they say to put some on installation of new ones so I’m lost! Lol

Tom, if the bore the oil seal sits into gets scratched up during the old seal removal then yes we do use sealant just to seal the metal to metal contact areas.
Ahhh I see that makes sense! I’ll have to check. Came out well, but i’ll photograph the inside

And now I see why they don’t apply any at the factory, but the manual says to.

thanks mate :)

If the metal surfaces the gasket is mating up to is smooth, flt and clean then the gasket will not need sealant but many surfaces get scratched, nicked and scraped up often taking old gaskets off and then some sealer gives a better chance of sealing things up tight, just a light smear on both sides of a gasket. I try very hard not to need or use sealant on gaskets.

Ahhh I see that makes sense! I’ll have to check. Came out well, but i’ll photograph the inside

And now I see why they don’t apply any at the factory, but the manual says to.

thanks mate :)

The manual is set up for the repair of these saws so they like to cover most of the bases, some scratching will most likely take place when pulling a seal, with care these scratches are very minor but it only takes a tiny one to let air in between two metal surfaces, sealer is an extra insurance.

The manual is set up for the repair of these saws so they like to cover most of the bases, some scratching will most likely take place when pulling a seal, with care these scratches are very minor but it only takes a tiny one to let air in between two metal surfaces, sealer is an extra insurance.
Thanks mate so you put sealant on both oil seals and cylinder / case gaskits? I think I’m getting confused as to what we are talking about now haha, sorry!

Yes Tom, both the seal bore and a gasket if the mating surfaces are rough but no if the surfaces are , flat/straight, smooth and clean then the gasket will seal. On rebuilds one faces many different challenges. Say the gasket had to be scraped off and the scraper tool gouges the metal surface, that surface will not be just like it was from the factory where the gasket would seal it fine. If the mating surface is gouged, scraped up or dinged then some sealant is better than none. I myself take great pains not to damage the mating surfaces so seldom ever need to seal a gasket.

Yes Tom, both the seal bore and a gasket if the mating surfaces are rough but no if the surfaces are , flat/straight, smooth and clean then the gasket will seal. On rebuilds one faces many different challenges. Say the gasket had to be scraped off and the scraper tool gouges the metal surface, that surface will not be just like it was from the factory where the gasket would seal it fine. If the mating surface is gouged, scraped up or dinged then some sealant is better than none. I myself take great pains not to damage the mating surfaces so seldom ever need to seal a gasket.
Perfect advice thanks so much mate. Such a logical concept, but I didn’t even really think of it like that. Will check it all over for smoothness and take it from there :)

Thanks again!

access to a surface plate is nice for rebuilds. ill take a sheet of 200 grit or higher sandpaper and lay it on the surface plate and lightly swirl the case half mating surface around, just enough to clean any little dings from removing old gasket. i usually apply a light coat of two stroke oil to the gasket, if for no other reason than it helps hold gasket in place for assembly.

I use a silicone called Pro Seal on the case gasket. It’s on eBay.

I fixed leaky dirtbike cases from the outside with a heat lamp over night. It never failed.

Back