CS-490 - Oregon Bar & Chain WTG?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brepat

Reaction score
Picked up a CS-490 for cheap but it's got a 20" bar. That's more than I want/need, plus it sounds like the saw does better with a smaller setup.

First off I'm wondering if I should go 16" or 18". I'm not going to be using this thing a whole lot. Xmas tree and not-giant firewood kind of stuff. Should I go with a 16" or is it no real difference to put an 18" on there?

Second, are the Oregon bars & chains the way to go? Seems like folks really like them around here, but they also appear to be pretty pricey. Other options that are good (and less expensive)? Again, this thing is only going to be getting occasional use on not-big wood (lol).

Thanks for the info!

I,d go 16inch and keep the 20 in case you need it sometime. If you pinch your bar you will have the 20 to switch and get the pinched bar out or you might rather use a 20 for various reasons on occasion.
16inch is easier and cheaper to maintain then 18 or 20.
I have a newish 490, came with 20 and i went to 16. Power wise its more suitable for 16.

Muff mod and re-tune. You might be surprised what a good running Echo 490 can do with a 20" bar. Mine is only getting stronger as I get more tanks of fuel through the system. Echo's take a bit longer to break-in but its worth it.

Might check with Redbull (parts, trading post) on tsumara bars. I think they are better then Oregon. An Oregon 16" prolite i think is a decent bar though. I think oregon makes some cheaper bars that aren't that good.
If you go to picco it would cut faster, but you,d need to change sprockets and your 20in wouldn't work with the change.

I have a CS-501P with an 18" bar. It seems to be the best of both worlds. I wanted longer than a 16" but better performing than a 20" bar.

Latest posts

Back