Need some help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people say I got more money than brains lol. I just want to get one more that will fill all my needs. But it may be 2 more
In that case get a 572xp or a Stihl 462. The 462 is 70cc but weighs just slightly more than a 562xp. The 462 is costly though $1200 or so. A 572xp can be had for around $850 without a bar, but it has more weight. And as always you could go big and just grab a 390xp, probably overkill though.[emoji6]

I just bought a 395xp 36 inch bar and chain for 1024$ . Love the saw on big stuff . Little heavy but it's nice when the saw is self feeding on the cut.

My other go to bigger saw is the stihl 460. I usually take 4 to 5 saws in to cut just because I can

All good advice so far but, what diameter wood are you mostly cutting? I have saws that are 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90+ cc. I sure do not want to cut 12-18" wood with a heavy ass 394xp, would wear me out too fast. Also is your wood hardwood, softwood or a mix that is heavy one way or the other?

All good advice so far but, what diameter wood are you mostly cutting? I have saws that are 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90+ cc. I sure do not want to cut 12-18" wood with a heavy ass 394xp, would wear me out too fast. Also is your wood hardwood, softwood or a mix that is heavy one way or the other?
Most Everything I'll be cutting will be under 24. Just got a couple blow downs that are little bigger and those are softwood I was thinking maybe a 60 would be enough but maybe a 70 would be better. I think your right that a bigger saw may get tiring on the smaller stuff and that's most of my cutting

Most Everything I'll be cutting will be under 24. Just got a couple blow downs that are little bigger and those are softwood I was thinking maybe a 60 would be enough but maybe a 70 would be better. I think your right that a bigger saw may get tiring on the smaller stuff and that's most of my cutting
If you don't mind the price than get the ms462 has the weight of a 60cc saw but is actually 70cc, awesome power to weight ratio.

OP, what type of trees and what diameter are most of them?

In the big picture, even if you clearcut 18 cords of timber that is not all that much cutting but you may as well get a saw or two that complements what you already have.

In the big picture, even if you clearcut 18 cords of timber that is not all that much cutting but you may as well get a saw or two that complements what you already have.
agreed! a pull-on wild thing and a husky 3120 should cover all the needs? lol

The woodlot is mixed hardwood. My property I'll mostly be cutting white birch and a lot of hemlock. I also plan on making a small 4 wheeler trail around my property for my son so that will be all kinds of different cutting.

The woodlot is mixed hardwood. My property I'll mostly be cutting white birch and a lot of hemlock. I also plan on making a small 4 wheeler trail around my property for my son so that will be all kinds of different cutting.
What diameter hardwood are we talking?

Oh there are a few more but I see you get the idea. Just don't ask about oil, railroad ties, moisture meters or bias ply tires.
Lmao why would I ask those things. But I totally understand. Lol

You stay long enough you'll get it. Personally though I cut mostly hardwoods bigger than you and my echo cs520 and my husky 371xp have done all I have needed. The 288xp and 394xp were bought just because of this site, and the newly acquired Stihl as well. CAD... you'll see. Lot of good guys and smart info here though.

Latest posts

Back