The Best Trailering PLug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MirekTrees

Maintaining Your Environment
Reaction score
What's the best Trailer plug to use for your chippers, stumpers, chip trucks, bucket trucks, wood splitters?

I use the 7 Pole Round connection and find that it is always getting corroded. Does anyone ever get the same problem?

9768389_orig.jpg

I use the 7 pin round for years without any problem. Make sure you use the same manufacturer for the male and female ends for a good tight fit.

I used the Napa trailer truck 7 pole round connectors on my ten ton trailer, had e brakes. Then I made a adapter to go from the seven pole to the four pole connectors for smaller trailers, log splitter ect.

7 pole round is THE BEST system, period.

Easiest to Clean, rugged, easy to find, and if you are getting a bad connection, the posts are usually split, so you can Very CAREFULLY spread them a bit and get a good connection, just do it a little, or you can break them.

I absolutely DETEST, the 7 FLAT connector system of the typical RV, Pure Garbage in comparison.

I have been a truck driver for over 30 years, there are reasons the 7 Round is the Standard in the industry

Doug :cheers:

Had no idea seven pole came in round and blade connectors.
View attachment 774364

I don't know exactly when, the Trucking Industry Standardized on the 7 Round format, or when, never mind WHY:confused:, the RV industry standardized on the 7 FLAT, but I would venture a guess that the trucking industry has been using the Round style from the 50's or 60's, no doubt there were a lot of different styles early on, until the headaches of interchangeability became too great:crazy2:

For the RV industry, interchangeability is still very Desirable, but not near as critical, I have never understood why, they didn't adopt the superior 7 Round style already in use commercially.:angry::dumb2::buttkick: The flat connectors are much harder to clean well, and I don't know of any way to "adjust" the contacts, for better continuity, like spreading the pins on the round style.

Doug :cheers:

Thanks for the input guys. I'm using the 7 Pole Round on all my stuff now. Just wondering if there was something better or if there is something i should be looking at to do to keep them working. Dielectric grease and Good connections as best as I can. Thanks again.

In all my years of towing, I have never had an issue with the RV style blade connectors. I have them on two snowmobile trailers, boat trailer, cargo trailer and of course my camper.
And I’ve never had an issue with my connectors on the trucks I have owned.

My cords have a hook on the trailers I place it on to keep them off the ground. Keep them clean. Just remember if you use dielectric grease and you drop plug on gravel or worse sand, the plug will be full of crap. I prefer to use WD40 after a road trip especially on the snowmobile trailers.

Retired guy from SE Manitoba

Let’s see,

1. Running lights
2. Stop lights
3. Right turn
4. Left turn
5. E brakes
6. Ground
7. Extra ground wire.

I purchased the standard bluestreak trailer truck plug. From a auto shop.
Two females for trailers one male for the truck,

The 7 round as far as I've ever seen is standard for heavy trucks. Medium duty is a toss up, between round and flat, and light duty (think pickup up to f550 size) is typically the flat style. As we run trucks from light to heavy duty, weve just set on the 7 flat. The big rigs still have the round, but we have an adapter we plug in if we haul a smaller trailer or the chipper. Grote makes a decent anti corrosion compound, for trailer plugs and lights. I think truck lite makes some as well. Cant say either style has given us much grief. The round is a bit more heavy duty imo.

Latest posts

Back