Stihl 180 or Echo 352

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I 2nd or third the CS-400 or even a CS-370. I have a CS-370 with about a zillion hours on it and it's been flawless. Not overly fast, but PLENTY of grunt for 37cc and dead solid reliable in long term service. We even take it with us on or annual Colorado Elk hunting trip and it does a good job at 10,000-12,000' as our camp saw.

Another small limbing saw to add to the list is the Echo CS-490. Remarkably compact/light weight for a 50cc saw and lots of professional features, plus pretty inexpensive. With a 16" bar it woln't weight much more than many of the saws mentioned and have considerably more power.......Cliff

Well I ended up purchasing a new/used Stihl 180 c. Was purchased early November to cut up one tree. I now have to find a good chain for it as it came with 2 homeowner anti kick chains. It has a 16" bar that's a low pro narrow kerf. I think... Anyone have any suggestions on a better chain?

Does the MS180 have a fixed jet carb?

The last two little Stihl's I got in the shop with issues had non-adjustable carbs on them. That's a showstopper for me as far as owning one as I like to "fatten" them up a bit to make sure I don't "smoke" the P/C WAY before it's time.....Cliff

have you pulled the spark arrester screen out of the muffler?
i thought my 180 was done for then i pulled the muffler to look at piston and saw the screen was plugged with carbon build up. pulled the screen, put muffler back on and it runs better than ever before.
Ive since learned that this is very common problem with 180's/170's

The last two I worked on the "green" fuel line was missing inside tank, completely dissolved by this new fuel. During the process it sucked so much **** thru the carbs I had to replace them.

Both were pretty lean right off the bench and no way to make any adjustments to them. I can't imagine the exact same calibration working for every elevation/weather/season, etc......Cliff

Latest posts

Back