Cad strikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just came home with this lot.IMG_20191118_184347.jpg

In the back row parts saw freeby's, a Poulan, Remington(?) and a power Mac 35 cc, in the front row complete Husqvarna 51, Homelite super mini, Mac 10-10 and a Husqvarna 50 that I traded a running pioneer 620 for.DSCF0032 (Large).JPG Fair trade? Or did I make it into the you suck thread?
This will keep me working on saws for a while.

OK, is there a local Cad'rs Anonymous in Wpg I don't know of? You know I'm jealous of the Super Mini, right? And the 50.
The 10-10 would be a dream! lol
I'd say you got a good deal.
What would you have sold the 620 for? How much time, money, parts went into it? Tally all that up & that's what you paid for the trade. Plus you have the "but I want THAT saw" feeling going on I'm sure lol

The 620 I had zero dollars into, it was my fathers saw that he used commercially as a lumberjack for 3 years. The rings were worn to half thickness but it still ran beautifully. The person I traded it to told me his first saw was a 620, and he was very happy to get it for nostalgia sake. He doesn't cut with it, but fires it up every so often just to hear it run.
I can get both Husqvarna's going, the super mini needs a few minor parts that i have, but it has a broken fin on the flywheel. The mini's and xl-1's seem to have chronic problem with breaking flywheel fins, I think I now have four broken ones.
The 10-10 is locked up, it might be rust in the bore, I understand they have a cast iron sleeve. Could also be just the recoil, it won't budge. I'll find out when I tear it apart, it's last on the list. The other 3 small ones are pure parts.

Great story with the 620. nice 'retirement home' for it.
The flywheels, a casting issue from a supplier back then perhaps?

Started on the 10-10, it's locked up solid. It sat in the rain for a while and rusted the piston/cylinder together.

A shame, it looks to be a very low time saw, with next to nothing for wear on the clutch sprocket, and wearing the original Mac branded bar and chain. From what I can see of the piston from the intake side, it's in excellent condition too.

Going to let it sit with penetrating oil for a while, but I can't see if being freed up without damage.

I've got a 10-10 with a right side recoil and no spark sitting on the shelf that's on my gonna get to it someday list... Probably never going to.
Tell me there's going to be a saw GTG in MB and I will be there with bells on.... Lol

The 620 I had zero dollars into, it was my fathers saw that he used commercially as a lumberjack for 3 years.
You are free to do what suits you, I just couldn't 'like' this post...trading off your fathers vintage saw for some junkers is unacceptable for me, I cringed reading that...and to a guy who bought it for nostalgic reasons! But all best turning them saws into runners. The saw gods take selling your dad's logging saw seriously, I'll pray for you...

CR888, who better to receive the saw than someone who can have an emotional attachment to it? It's not like I sold off a family member, and I still have a lot of things my father gave me when he passed on.
Don't make the mistake thinking I don't appreciate all the sacrifices and hard work my father did to feed and house his family. In fact, I feel very blessed to have had the parents I did, looking back I would have changed nothing.

My father would probably like the idea that someone is still firing up the saw he used to support his family for 3 winters. Its too heavy for me to use, and the memories of helping him cut down the occasional tree out at the lake and cutting ice blocks in the winter are good enough for me and will never change hands.

You are free to do what suits you, I just couldn't 'like' this post...trading off your fathers vintage saw for some junkers is unacceptable for me, I cringed reading that...and to a guy who bought it for nostalgic reasons! But all best turning them saws into runners. The saw gods take selling your dad's logging saw seriously, I'll pray for you...

Wanted to say something similar. No way would I have got rid of my dads saw for a dead 10-10 and some little homeowner huskys.

Every man to his own though

I was in a similar situation with my 1st house. My mother had passed away & her estate paid off what was left on my mortgage. Years later I was thinking of moving. I had a REALLY tough time just thinking of letting the house go. Then It came to me, she would love for me to use the sale of the house towards the purchase of another.
Basically, if I wanted to use the sale of 1 house for another, of course she'd want me to do what makes me happy, what makes sense.
Perhaps there's a same train of thought. If you use what I gave you towards making yourself happy, that's ideal. The memories are what you keep close.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Maybe we think differently, I don't know. I ain't the one to tell anyone what they can and cannot do, I'd just struggle to sell my fathers saw. Which is kinda stupid I suppose, they are all just blocks of metal that are not that important but....I wouldn't sell my fathers logging saw, but I'm funny like that

Latest posts

Back