McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got the 850 dialed in. New duckbill and gasket on the cap and fresh carb kit. Oh and the obligatory “Buckin” NOS McCulloch bar. View attachment 774183

Looks good man. Didn't realize how bent up the bottom plate had got. It's easy to pull off and panel beat though.

Really like that bar. I have a 32 but the paint is loooong gone lol I like them bare too though 20190817_144458.jpg

Wow! Now that’s a tree!
I still have the 32” bar that was on it when I purchased it. It’s a McCulloch bar .404 pitch sprocket nose. I can faintly see the yellow paint on it. I thought about having it stroke sanded and powder coated here at work then re stenciled and use it as a wall ornament lol. 28” is plenty for what I plan to do with this saw.

It would look nice up on a wall. 32 is too big unless ya really need it.
I guess around here 32” or 36” was the common length for a saw that size in these parts.
(West coast/PNW)
at least that’s what the old man told me he and just about everyone else ran back in the day.

Cool what saws was your old man running?
The funky white and orange ones lol. The big one was a 056 mag II if I remember right then he had a few smaller ones for trimming limbs. I was too young at the time to run one, I just remember hauling and stacking. Before long we got a pellet stove and woodcutting became a thing of the past.

View attachment 774275 View attachment 774276
My favorite work saws , particularly the PM700 , bald cypress trees. That 24" bar with skip tooth has been just fantastic for the pitchy stuff.
I noticed no one ever asks me to drop trees in an open area? That would be a treat some day.

Let me know if ya want some nice rubber for that poor 700 handle lol.

The funky white and orange ones lol. The big one was a 056 mag II if I remember right then he had a few smaller ones for trimming limbs. I was too young at the time to run one, I just remember hauling and stacking. Before long we got a pellet stove and woodcutting became a thing of the past.

An off brand as Ron calls them haha.
I have 1 husky and 0 cremcicles so far. I wouldn't enjoy paying 300 bucks for an ms250

Let me know if ya want some nice rubber for that poor 700 handle lol.

An off brand as Ron calls them haha.
I have 1 husky and 0 cremcicles so far. I wouldn't enjoy paying 300 bucks for an ms250

Hey it's still got some grip left! But soon I'll trade you some milk tube for a loop of skip tooth, sound good?

I have a few creamsicle/off brand saws but nothing newer then 10 years old , I'm fond of them for production type work and some specialty stuff. 8xs out of 10 I'll grab a mac to cut with just because of it's reliability and a" hot rod "of saws.

Hey it's still got some grip left! But soon I'll trade you some milk tube for a loop of skip tooth, sound good?

Yeap keen only problem is it would be a loop for the 32 the 20s don't really need it so unless you want alot of milk line I might have to compensate you some

Decided to try replacing the ignition module before I changed out the flywheel. I notice a small crack in the old module. Not sure if that would've caused my issue or not, but here are the modules, side by side.

Attachments

• IMG_0747_LI.jpg
    IMG_0747_LI.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0754.JPG
    IMG_0754.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0755.JPG
    IMG_0755.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Decided to try replacing the ignition module before I changed out the flywheel. I notice a small crack in the old module. Not sure if that would've caused my issue or not, but here are the modules, side by side.

Yup had the same issue with a pro mac 10-10s, swapped out the coil and all is well.
The points coil definitely has been more robust in my experience , cracked, melted, sliding around on the laminate and it'll still run a saw.

Looks like a nice job to have. Much banging of the wedge? Or was the weight in your favor?

I cut a 5 foot tree with a 24 inch bar man what a mission
Not much banging on the wedge, but I have yet to hit anything with a tree I didn't intend to, and plan on keeping it that way.
Just safety and the wind was up alittle today.

Those pics make me want to quit my job and just go cut trees.
Well I just post the glorious days because I'm over all maintenance for my region and I don't think anyone wants pics of me pulling"femine hygiene products out of a lift station pump", or worse!
But its nice when there are technical or dangerous trees I get called to cut them, its my understanding that they have been waiting for 2 years to cut the 8 trees I dropped yesterday and today , I was glad to do it.

Latest posts

Back