First real live edge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're going to need to file that chain down to 15, 10 degrees or even less. Depth gauges can be much lower than a crosscut chain as well.

While in the cut, If you get the tip out in front of the mount end of the saw,... you'll find the saw feeds nicer and finish of cut improves.
Of course you need some surplus bar length to get that method going.
After getting the bar fully into an initial cut, I sort of pivot the tip forward the 6-8" or so.
Try it and see what you think.
Chisel is fine... it's actually faster than "rip" chain in my experience. The cut quality is not as nice though so end use requires proper chain selection.
When I'm milling for framing lumber I use skip chisel and just get through it as quick as I can.

Not to worried about the cut finish . I have access to a 36 planer . As long as it fairly flat all is good
I use Stihl RS chain out of the box. I use my milling saws for tree work also and don't like having different chains around. I've posted these pics before. The first is a mantle I made for a friends timber framed home, the next ones are a Red Oak log I milled a few months ago. The log I milled a few months ago came from the same tree as the mantle, it's just been sitting outside for 4 years. I have a Rigid 13" planer I use for the mantles, and a Jet 32" drum sander for wider stuff. The mantle took 3 passes through the planer, so the initial cut is pretty darn smooth.
chuW3lj.jpg

Not to worried about the cut finish . I have access to a 36 planer . As long as it fairly flat all is good
Holy moly I wish I had access to a planer that big!!!

I got a 12” one that works fairly well, so if I intend on using it for my work I have to get into jointery to make something of a good size. However I tried planing some wood I cut with the saw with some humps and bumps and it took forever at the full length. Now I try and keep my love edge pieces as flat as possible using the ladder system. However I have found something better but need to make it, it will blow away the EZ rail system and will also be more accurate and sturdy than the ladder... stay tuned ;)

20190521_143410.jpg 20190520_160557.jpg 20190725_091244.jpg
Holy moly I wish I had access to a planer that big!!!

I got a 12” one that works fairly well, so if I intend on using it for my work I have to get into jointery to make something of a good size. However I tried planing some wood I cut with the saw with some humps and bumps and it took forever at the full length. Now I try and keep my love edge pieces as flat as possible using the ladder system. However I have found something better but need to make it, it will blow away the EZ rail system and will also be more accurate and sturdy than the ladder... stay tuned ;)

I have a dewalt 12" planer for small stuff . The bigger stuff the local sawmill will hit it for me. Same place that I got the white oak bedwood for my 68 chevy

Latest posts

Back