Bringing MS500i back on plane from France???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardhat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We are flying to France next week. My wife mentioned I might buy the MS500i over there instead of waiting for it here in the states? Has anyone brought a chainsaw back on a plane. Customs issues. I have searched and read some different threads, but most of the results were older....

How are people getting them in the country now? I'll probably wait until they are available here to have warranty support from my dealer, but it sure is tempting to pick one up while we are over there.

Thanks,

Larry Henderson

I’ve seen people flying with tires, cheaper to buy one place over the next, but never considered if they would have customs issues. Put it in the luggage and see what happens??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could unbox it over there, and rebox in a plain cardboard box. Ship to yourself by common carrier like DHL or similar. You can claim on the US customs forms its “used and owned by you, shipping to yourself in the states” but you still may have to pay some customs duty on it, thats a gamble depending on how close they inspect it when it arrives at JFK...

You can also try to get back your VAT taxes (you’ll pay that when you buy it over there) when you leave europe.

I don’t see why it couldn’t be in checked baggage. As long as there is no fuel in it. You can do guns to certain countries and alcohol and such...

Id forgot the hassle and buy it in the US for the higher price. Flying is stressful enough by itself, let alone having to do it while worrying about a saw like that.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Id forgot the hassle and buy it in the US for the higher price. Flying is stressful enough by itself, let alone having to do it while worrying about a saw like that.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

That is probably sound advice. I think I would be OK with airlines, but surely don't want to take a chance with customs. I saw somewhere that release date might be pushed back to february and i'm just itching to cut some wood with that beast.

Plus if I buy it locally my dealer will let me trade in my 441cm and I'll have a warranty. Just have to wait longer.

Thanks to all who replied.

Hey :) have just been through this. I brough an old used ms 260 from the Uk to Italy and then Italy to Dubai and then Dubai to Australia. The key is it must be very clean, free of any dirt and have no fuel or oil at all (degreased and cleaned out everywhere) leave the spark plug behind too. I didn’t have any problems and spoke to everyone at the check in desk each time. They asked about fuel and that’s it. Australia has the second strictest customs and import laws in the world (after Newzealand!)

Pack it well and put in checked in baggage. The new saw won’t be any problem.

Mon beau frère vient de l acheté ici en France 1460 € avec un guide de 50 cm rollomatic E.
Avec le guide de 63 cm comme sur le site Stihl elle est effectivement a 1540 € environ.

Entirely up to airline so check with them. IATA have a special provision for new saws or those with a purge certificate but each airline chooses if they follow it or not.

I held a 500i at a Stihl shop in Nimes last summer and thought about doing the same, but I had my CAD under control.
I think you'll also end up paying US Duty on it when it arrives in the US.
There's a AS member who will ship one to the US from Greece, and I think that would be your better option if you decide to proceed.
The 500i import into the US is being held up by California Carb compliance issues, which begs the question of US parts availability should things go sideways.

Back