Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is 5hrs away and the neighbors are transplanted townies who think a ride-on is heavy machinery. There is a bloke down the road with something useful but we have history and I'd rather eat worms than ask him for anything. Will think of something.

Made a few more of those seats with the leftover slabwood too.
View attachment 774523

Only a few slabs left from last Summer and they are too small for seats. So, i might make a variation of these planters I made recently but do the sides from the slab wood.
View attachment 774528
I've got one of those guys down the road too. But, I always said I'd rather eat broken glass than help him. Worms might not be so bad, I've seen that guy on TV eat worms.

interesting.

Philbert
I picked up an old Homelite at an auction one time and an old guy came up to look at it. He said they must have used it to cut ice. I asked him why he thought that. He said look they took all the rakers off. The cutters were hardly worn.

Mine is 5hrs away and the neighbors are transplanted townies who think a ride-on is heavy machinery. There is a bloke down the road with something useful but we have history and I'd rather eat worms than ask him for anything. Will think of something.

Made a few more of those seats with the leftover slabwood too.
View attachment 774523

Only a few slabs left from last Summer and they are too small for seats. So, i might make a variation of these planters I made recently but do the sides from the slab wood.
View attachment 774528

Real nice looking stuff, as usual!

There is a place near here that the County purchased called Ice Pond. It is between the N + S RR Tracks, and they used to cut ice there for NYC.

They did not cut it till it was 18" thick … if they waited for that now adays it would have only happened about twice in the last 20 years!

It actually had it's own jail. No Sheriff, but the Manager would throw you in there if you had too much to drink!

There was one pay scale for regular workers, and another if you had a horse that would help drag the ice off the pond.

They then stored it in buildings hundreds of yards long, and sent it to NYC on the trains.

Here’s a clip from a documentary on Dorothy Molter, a lady who lived alone in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area for nearly 60 years.

Sorry for the grainy footage as this is on VHS.

Bonus to anyone who can identify the model of saw.

A David Bradley saw?

Here’s a clip from a documentary on Dorothy Molter, a lady who lived alone in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area for nearly 60 years.

Sorry for the grainy footage as this is on VHS.

Bonus to anyone who can identify the model of saw.

Homelite 5-20 or 5-30.

Watch those age jokes there youngster!

Yes I can remember when the first house in the neighborhood got color TV (they won it at a church raffle), and I remember where I was when Kennedy was assassinated, and the Beatles came on the Ed Sullivan show. All these events changed the world.

Back