Stihl trimmer FS85 Pro vs FS85

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithandstef

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Some of these older Stihl FS85 trimmers have a "Pro" sticker on the shroud and some do not. I don't think it's a matter of the sticker falling off, at least it doesn't appear that way. Is there a difference between two such models? Thanks

IIRC, the FS85 pro has a solid shaft and the non pro has a flex shaft. I could be mistaken, it’s been years since that model went the way of the dinosaurs.

Yes. The pro fs85 I p/u at yard sale some years back, stihl runs great, and cuts like nobody’s business..I’m going to put a blade on it this spring and see what she’ll do. And your comment is correct, the pro has a solid shaft , ( my sons is not a pro, and his is a flex shaft) while the non pros have a flex shaft!!

All 85 were solid shaft, all 80 were flex shaft, however they could be interchanged
there was a cylinder change and numerous carb changes a few years into production as early 85‘s were horrible- would stall if you picked it up too quick from ground. models With updated cylinder was called pro as they did run better and needed the marketing change to tell landscapers that it was better than first version

Back