Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil, it's mixed emotions. I have more dead standing Oak than I could ever cut. Most of the Ash in the pics are leaning toward a fence that runs along a small river. Our Department of Natural Resources are busting the butts of the farmers whose property borders Chesapeake Bay run off areas. They want her to fence the river and only make openings big enough for the cows to drink, they don't want them walking in the water. With 150 head of cattle and about 30 horses, she has to keep the fences in good shape. That's a lot of work for just 1 full time farm hand. Now, they have to drag the fields with a chain link drag to spread the cow poop around. They have to do the whole 150 acre farm once a month, that's at least one full day a week doing nothing but spreading poop. She's in her 80's and still works 3-4 days a week in her Vet practice. Most of this is to control herbicide run off. In the mean time, golf courses and home owners feed the heck out of their lawns with little to no regulation. Farmers are very tight, and don't use an ounce more than directions call for. Chemicals cost money. The politicians around here would just as soon see the farms go, they would get more taxes from a bunch of houses than they do the farms. Plus, you could never stop feeding or watering the Congress mans Golf Course, his ball may take a weird roll when it hit a dry brown patch of grass.

Incredible to think some people can just drive right up to trees that that cut down!
It's a rough life Steve. We had to load all the wood by hand 2 days in a row. My brother in law had cow poop spreading duty today, so the FEL was not available.

Oh, I did have to cut them down and buck them myself!

My step-brother has those in his home, not sure same brand, but same functions plus heat. He saw them while working in Japan, they are not cheap and I will not use them, waiting for a brush to pop out and scrub your azz .
My daughter is an Occupational Therapist, and my son in law is a Physical Therapist. They both said no way a bidet would ever be in their house. They have sever issues with fecal material being spread to adjacent parts of the body, then spread by clothing and hands. They are not as sanitary as you would think.

Neil, it's mixed emotions. I have more dead standing Oak than I could ever cut. Most of the Ash in the pics are leaning toward a fence that runs along a small river. Our Department of Natural Resources are busting the butts of the farmers whose property borders Chesapeake Bay run off areas. They want her to fence the river and only make openings big enough for the cows to drink, they don't want them walking in the water. With 150 head of cattle and about 30 horses, she has to keep the fences in good shape. That's a lot of work for just 1 full time farm hand. Now, they have to drag the fields with a chain link drag to spread the cow poop around. They have to do the whole 150 acre farm once a month, that's at least one full day a week doing nothing but spreading poop. She's in her 80's and still works 3-4 days a week in her Vet practice. Most of this is to control herbicide run off. In the mean time, golf courses and home owners feed the heck out of their lawns with little to no regulation. Farmers are very tight, and don't use an ounce more than directions call for. Chemicals cost money. The politicians around here would just as soon see the farms go, they would get more taxes from a bunch of houses than they do the farms. Plus, you could never stop feeding or watering the Congress mans Golf Course, his ball may take a weird roll when it hit a dry brown patch of grass.
Those cattle give off cyanide and runs into river. High school chemistry teachers family are cattle farmers and Michigan epa wanted them to build a barrier, so run off could not make it to nearby lake or stop operation of farm, went to court and farmer won.

Nice haul, great you can get more out of there. Congrats lol.
Thats some great burning wood and you don't have to wait 3 yrs for it to dry, almost as good as spruce, so I've heard :D.
But, you get a lot more mileage out of Spruce, even if it's only on this forum.

My daughter is an Occupational Therapist, and my son in law is a Physical Therapist. They both said no way a bidet would ever be in their house. They have sever issues with fecal material being spread to adjacent parts of the body, then spread by clothing and hands. They are not as sanitary as you would think.
They are not just a bidet, there is one in master bath next to that heated toilet. Supposedly they use hot water and sanitizer.

Those cattle give off cyanide and runs into river. High school chemistry teachers family are cattle farmers and Michigan epa wanted them to build a barrier so run off could not make it to nearby lake or stop operation of farm, went to court and farmer won.
MD, was a big agricultural state when my Dad was a kid in the 20's. As the old farmers are dying off, most of the kids are cashing in the millions the real estate is worth. I don't like it, but I can't blame them. Farming is a hard life. The only thing saving our Apple Orchards are the massive opening of Wineries and Breweries, that all offer Hard Cider. Cedar/Apple rust hit the orchards pretty hard. It disfigures the fruit a little and leaves a rusty rash on the fruit. It doesn't hurt it, but it can't be sold in stores. But, they can make applesauce, cider, juice, jelly, etc.

Today's haul. I started to put several 30 inch trees on the ground before I left today. But, that brings out all of the wood maggots. I left part of a split pile on the farm a few years back, that wouldn't fit on the trailer. Went home, about 12 miles, ate lunch, came back, and it was gone. Nobody see "nuttin", nobody hear "nuttin", nobody say "nuttin". But I smelled a skunk. Now I just cut it as I go. Good part is no clean up. Oh, not a bad notch for a beginner?View attachment 774782 View attachment 774782 View attachment 774783 View attachment 774784 View attachment 774785
Need pics of the super 1050 in action. I've got dead ash all over the property down the road but they scare the hell out of me. There so bad the tops are falling apart on a regular basis so I'll let them come down on there own.

I got most of the little ones today, the biggest, the one with the 290 on the stump was right at 20". There are a lot in the 30-32" range and a few over 36". Ash cuts so nice the 1050 is just too big for an old fat guy to run that long. I can put the 25" on the 660 and last a couple hours.

Watch those age jokes there youngster!

Yes I can remember when the first house in the neighborhood got color TV (they won it at a church raffle), and I remember where I was when Kennedy was assassinated, and the Beatles came on the Ed Sullivan show. All these events changed the world.
We had a gold B&W 12"? Panasonic TV for most of the 70's and just a radio when that crapped out. It was funny everyone pulling up a chair to see the tiny screen.

LOL, one of those hey I resemble that remark sort of things :).

Must not have been an amish church :surprised3:. I remember getting grandpas top of the line vcr, it had a 25' cord on that bad boy, had it hooked up to a sweet console TV :D.
Soon guys will be saying when we were young-ins they had gas engines on chainsaws and cars:sucks:.
I was looking at the Stihl battery saws today. They sure look perfect for urban warriors.

While snowblower tire kicking...

Had a long hard look at a 461 cm and in all honesty it just doesn't look the monster and on paper 5.5bhp isn't much of a jump from my 2065's. I'm hoping the 500i shows up soon. Figure I owe myself 1 modern saw and it might as well be a fat one that could retire the 038 to nostalgia use. Problem is the more I look the better a west coast 390xp looks.

Going to a bigger Husqvarna place to see what they have on hand. So far Ariens Platinum SHO 30" looks like might come home with me ~n~ maybe a Ariens Deluxe 24" for the daughter. See if I can sell the little Honda on CL when it snows.

My father occasionally takes his 1874 Winchester .44-40 out, gets a deer everytime...

They are talking opening up semi-autos in PA...it won't be safe to be in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Semi auto's have been allowed in Wisconsin for decades and very few problems. Guys falling out of tree stands causes more injuries than getting shot.

Not sure where you are getting you info, but both the 461 and the much lighter 462 are rated at 6 Hp. The 462 is extremely impressive Hp/wt. Same Hp as a 461 with the weight of a 562.
Maybe that was the C? Either way my ported 2065 ain't giving much away there and the stocker feels like it will pull that 28" pretty well. Looking for a dedicated 36" saw that gets used for half a dozen or so cuts with authority then retires. Anything smaller one of the 2065's is plenty of saw and under 16# Don't need it just a want.

Your generation has seen a lot of history, mine not so much. The greatest generation probably saw the most change (and milestone events) that any generation ever will as many of them grew up with no electricity and now some of the survivors have smart phones.

The only significant things that folks my age (40) have seen are the fall of communism, 9/11, and the rise of technology. Am I missing anything?

Well I looked at the live rain radar on my phone in the afternoon and decided to cycle home early.
Now I’m on the World Wide Web conversing with people from all over the world.

When I drive in the traffic my phone tells me which is the quickest route based on all the collective live data from virtually every motorist on the road. And knows exactly where I am on earth at any time. The phone can show me aerial images of anywhere in the world in high resolution.

Ten years ago drones didn’t exist now you can buy a cheap drone that can automatically follow you skiing down a hill, missing any trees and transmit high resolution live footage to potentially billions of people around the wold all at once.

Today virtually every child who’s born deaf (in the developed world) and would have been deaf for the rest of their life now receives a cochlear implant and will live a normal hearing life.

There is now a commercial bionic eye implant on the market.

Yeh I think you may have missed a few things:)

Back