Swisher 4 way wedge on TB 27 ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris moss

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does any one know if the swisher 4 way wedge will work on a 27 ton splitter , or the rugged made 4 way that replaces the wedge on the troy built ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191103-181839.png
    Screenshot_20191103-181839.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20190921-101135.png
    Screenshot_20190921-101135.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Does any one know if the swisher 4 way wedge will work on a 27 ton splitter , or the rugged made 4 way that replaces the wedge on the troy built ?
Hey Chris. After running a TB 27 For years and years I don't think I would put a 4 way on it. It's a good splitter but i don't think it would stand up to the stress of a 4 way. Not sure how old yours is but some early ones had an issue with the cradle where the cyclinder sits in.

Hey Chris. After running a TB 27 For years and years I don't think I would put a 4 way on it. It's a good splitter but i don't think it would stand up to the stress of a 4 way. Not sure how old yours is but some early ones had an issue with the cradle where the cyclinder sits in.

Mine is about 3 years old , rarely ever been used up until this year , and so far i have throw about 15 cords of wood thru it , and i split mainly 6 to 12 in peices that are straight wood, oak, white oak, some hickory, and popular , figured it would be up for the task

Chris, I used to just let it fall off the end and as the splits piled up it would push the splitter away. Worked decent but made for a low low pile of splits. Bought a grain elevator and been using it for years. Put a gas engine on it this year. I now have 7 or 8 conveyors and will never be without a running one. My Wallenstein processor has and attached folding conveyor. I have a smaller one for the speeco and we also use it to hand load splits on a dump trailer for sales. 4 or so grain and hay elevators, just bought another spare one a couple of weeks ago for $350. If you do end up mounting a 4 way make sure you always try to put the butt to the wedge first. This way the split gets smaller as it goes thru the wedge and results in less binding. I made a hydraulic height adjusting 4 way wedge for my 32" splitter. I can drop it right down and split 2 ways for the nasty stuff. There are lots of pics of it on here if you do a search using my user name and type in 4 way wedge.

Attachments

• 20181118_124938 (1).jpg
    20181118_124938 (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 20181118_131756 (1).jpg
    20181118_131756 (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 20181125_115939 (1).jpg
    20181125_115939 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20180605_205619.jpg
    IMG_20180605_205619.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
I used a swisher 4 way on a 2xT(20 something ton I can’t recall exactly) MTD/Yard Machines splitter for years. It took a little bit of work to get it to slide over the existing wedge. It doesn’t take long before you get the hang of what size wood you want to send thru it, and once you do it works well. That said I would also have to remove it and use the standard wedge on a good deal of larger stuff. For that reason I wouldn’t want one that replaces the wedge completely, it would be a pain to swap back and forth, this is where the Swisher slide on design shines.
Once you get the 4 way figured out, you will be amazed at how much faster production is and wonder why you didn’t do it sooner. Good luck, Rye.

I used a swisher 4 way on a 2xT(20 something ton I can’t recall exactly) MTD/Yard Machines splitter for years. It took a little bit of work to get it to slide over the existing wedge. It doesn’t take long before you get the hang of what size wood you want to send thru it, and once you do it works well. That said I would also have to remove it and use the standard wedge on a good deal of larger stuff. For that reason I wouldn’t want one that replaces the wedge completely, it would be a pain to swap back and forth, this is where the Swisher slide on design shines.
Once you get the 4 way figured out, you will be amazed at how much faster production is and wonder why you didn’t do it sooner. Good luck, Rye.
Thanks for the input , i think i may pull the trigger and buy the swisher and grind off what everyone says they need to grind off and give it a ****, i have unlimited supply of red and white oak and need to up production not only for myself but i sell anywhere from 2 to 5 cords a week and everything I split is a good 70% dry , its mostly storm damage , but i have free range of about 3,000 acreage or more so i trot thru where i can with my 1949 cub and load the trailer , id like to have 10-20 cords on hand at any given time but I have only been able to keep up with about a cord a day maybe 2 with my wife feeding me logs , cant split it fast enough to make any real money doing it

Back