Any mods to keep the exhaust fumes away while chainsaw milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BobL has a short pipe on his customized muffler to direct fumes away.
It looks like it would work pretty well.
He’ll likely respond here shortly from down under.

My milling saw is a Husky 3120 which has a side deflector that seems to send fumes away as well.
They are still around but not coming right at my face like when I used a ms661 for milling.

Dilution is your best solution. If you can rig up a cordless leaf blower it would help.
Milwaukee has an m18 Compact blower.
It’s pretty small and super light weight. ( not their leaf blower which is great but large).
You could easily velcro strap it to your top rails and thin down the fumes enough to improve the experience a whole bunch.

Buy a 2nd muffler and modify it for milling so you can take it off when saw is returned to usual duties. Weld on a pipe in the shape that directs gasses where you want, a few guys have done this with success. Milling is hard work often (for me) done under the sun in warm whether, wearing a P2 silicon mask with filters would be not so pleasant.

BobL has a short pipe on his customized muffler to direct fumes away.
It looks like it would work pretty well.
He’ll likely respond here shortly from down under.

My milling saw is a Husky 3120 which has a side deflector that seems to send fumes away as well.
They are still around but not coming right at my face like when I used a ms661 for milling.

Dilution is your best solution. If you can rig up a cordless leaf blower it would help.
Milwaukee has an m18 Compact blower.
It’s pretty small and super light weight. ( not their leaf blower which is great but large).
You could easily velcro strap it to your top rails and thin down the fumes enough to improve the experience a whole bunch.
Yes he there are pics of his setup, if I remember it is a bolt on pipe, literally that bolts to the top of the stock muffler. Has a nice bend in it to direct fumes away.

The best an easiest solution so far for me is to mill on a windy day, like it was today! No fumes hitting my face!

A good sheet metal guy or muffler shop should be able to modify a muffler for that application. You may have to switch them out with a stock one if you use it for bucking as well. Those little 1000 watt Honda gens are so quiet your neighbors would never hear it and you could run a fan to force the exhaust away from you.

Back