McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is. Shipping says dec 3 arrival.
View attachment 774821View attachment 774822
Thats not bad for under 100$, carburetors seem to be the main cause for sold or abandoned saws, so it could be in great shape on the inside too. I have noticed that nearly every McCulloch I acquire has a bent or stripped bar adjustment screw and a loose chain makes me think about that . The adjustment pin is always good though, I bought a pack of 25 philster head SS screws online and have to cut about a 1/4" off the end (3" screw)

Thats not bad for under 100$, carburetors seem to be the main cause for sold or abandoned saws, so it could be in great shape on the inside too. I have noticed that nearly every McCulloch I acquire has a bent or stripped bar adjustment screw and a loose chain makes me think about that . The adjustment pin is always good though, I bought a pack of 25 philster head SS screws online and have to cut about a 1/4" off the end (3" screw)
I haven’t ran into that yet, but have taken note and even thought of turning my own out of nitronic 60 or something, but in that application I would rather the threads strip than the pin shear off.

I believe the usual bent or stripped bar adjustment screws are due to tightening the clutch cover with the adjusting nut misaligned. I have also seen a lot of busted covers due to the same. I don’t know why MAC didn’t make the tip longer which would make misalignment easier to detect; there is plenty of room for a longer tip with the slot in the tank.

If you go back in this thread several years you will see many posts of my problems with bent or sheared adjusting screws and nuts resulting from kickbacks while bucking in log piles. If you use typical screws from the hardware store they will easily bend or shear. If you use a hardened screw the nut tip will shear. After many failures I discovered my problems were due to my failure to clean the oil from the plates, bar and clamping points of the cover and tank. I also found that certain Husky nuts with longer tips worked great at preventing misalignment. Unfortunately I don’t remember which ones and destroyed all I had before I discovered the cause of my problems. If you don’t need all the travel offered by the OEM flat nut, you can use the metric cube-like nut from the later MACs - just re-thread the screw as the metric screw is too short. The cube nut tip seems to shear easier than the flat nut tips but the tip is slightly longer making misalignment easier to detect and the cube shape helps keep the screw from bending.

Ron

I believe the usual bent or stripped bar adjustment screws are due to tightening the clutch cover with the adjusting nut misaligned. I have also seen a lot of busted covers due to the same. I don’t know why MAC didn’t make the tip longer which would make misalignment easier to detect; there is plenty of room for a longer tip with the slot in the tank.

If you go back in this thread several years you will see many posts of my problems with bent or sheared adjusting screws and nuts resulting from kickbacks while bucking in log piles. If you use typical screws from the hardware store they will easily bend or shear. If you use a hardened screw the nut tip will shear. After many failures I discovered my problems were due to my failure to clean the oil from the plates, bar and clamping points of the cover and tank. I also found that certain Husky nuts with longer tips worked great at preventing misalignment. Unfortunately I don’t remember which ones and destroyed all I had before I discovered the cause of my problems. If you don’t need all the travel offered by the OEM flat nut, you can use the metric cube-like nut from the later MACs - just re-thread the screw as the metric screw is too short. The cube nut tip seems to shear easier than the flat nut tips but the tip is slightly longer making misalignment easier to detect and the cube shape helps keep the screw from bending.

Ron

Pretty sure probably all my covers are broken from tightening down when not engaged in the bar hole. Or bent adjustment screws or all of the above.

A small trick I learned. The screw that holds the oil tank cap on works spot on as an adjustment screw on the short braked cover

Looking good. I just picked up another pro 10-10 automatic off fleabay that I’ll be tearing into. The wealth of info in this thread is amazing as well as the knowledgeable people. Love it!
A member is selling a good one under the title project saws in the for sale forums.

I got hooked the day I found that 850

That'll do it, too. LOL

But there is something kinda special about the 10-10's that'll also grab ya..., like they all sorta have their own little personalities even before ya start em up or begin working on em..., even in the pics you see in the various sales media/venues. Hard for me to resist.

Any 10 series gets me going.20191115_182320.jpg
20191124_113750.jpg
Put the nice 10-10S donkey under the older strange running 10-10 covers today. A few things are a little different. Need to grind the block a tad for the older clutch cover to fit20191124_113811.jpg
The screws under the carb that hold the tank to the block are smaller I found this out by screwing it down and promptly shat myself as what felt like the thread stripping haha nope was ok just need the next size up in whatever funny imperial size it is hehe sorry it's hard for us metric people. smaller than 6mm but bigger than 5mm:)

The intake is shaped for a bullfrog carb also there is no provision in the casting for a throttle lock 20191124_114601.jpg
The shroud will eather need to be modified to clear the decompression or put a later 1 on.

7-10 throttle lock
20191124_114626.jpg
Not that I use the throttle lock sometimes the 800 if I have nothing to lean it on(I hate revving them when cold feels nasty)

Got me looking at the later casting the pm saws..

It has the provision in the handle for the lock still but not used. Just something I noticed.20191124_114635.jpg

Umm the front hole in the oil tank will need eather tapped out to fit the screw or goo up the hole. But other wise it's a bolt together jobby. Oh and a electronic coil too

But yes just incase any of you have an old 10-10 you want to go a little better.

NorthEast Tennessee MAC Report

Rainy day in North East Tennessee so no cutting for me. Built my first fire of the season and worked in the basement all day trying to straighten things up a little. Found a parts Pro Mac 805 that I had forgotten. I have a parts PM800 on order so I should be good to go for a long wet winter. Looked every where for a small order that I couldn't find - went through the trash twice looking for it - not there but found some gaskets I accidentally threw in the trash. I found the missing envelope just as I decided to quit for the day. What a relief, now I can take out the trash next Saturday. Still have a lot of work to do in the basement before Thanksgiving, but I have my MAC parts 90% organized. I need to buy a few more totes.

"Gently used" MAC parts and part saws in the totes.
IMG_4830.JPG

NOS small parts indexed in the two boxes, NOS pistons and used carbs in tins, stuff to be organized in small box and container with Mark H's calling card on top, tote with used 10 series stuff and two totes of NOS SP125 parts. Couple more in the workshop with used 125 parts and ten series parts.
IMG_E4835.JPG

I hope to do some cutting over the holiday if family plans allow.
Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses

I'm in the middle of trying to transfer my main saw bench activity from my garage to a shop area in my barn that has been a very slow work in progress since last year. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure Mark started his whole project after I started my little endeavor. LOL But hey, I'm just a one man band with limited resources to put toward something like this and it just gets pecked at a little here and there as I'm able to find the time these days. The first thing I did last year was install the boxwood stove, but now I'll be working in the cold getting the wall and heat shield up before I can use it this year. (Yes. Everything I do is carefully planned. Ha!) So anyway, a large number of my saws used to occupy a portion of this area. They're now all over the place where I'd normally park my truck. Quite a mess as things currently stand and I definitely have my work cut out over the winter which includes building a floor where there used to be a stall. Concrete is out of the question economically so I'm just going to frame it in, paint it gray, and pretend it's cement. A few pics showing the challenges at hand..., and some 10 series saws for good measure since that's what prompted me to take the pics in the first place. Just got a little sidetracked.

0323191701_resized.jpg

0323191702_resized.jpg

0323191701a_resized.jpg

0323191700_resized.jpg

0323191713a_resized.jpg

1123191307_resized.jpg

Back