Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every house in the area used to have an antenna on the roof, pointed in the direction of the Empire State Building, they broadcast the 7 channels we received. My upstate cousins generally only got 3 channels. We got 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 + 13. A TV set only had 13 channels. TV wire (2 strand) had a black weather resistant coating, and there was a flat section between the wires keeping them about 1/2" apart.

You would hook up the wiring, then one person would be on the roof and another watching the TV, and if you were lucky someone in the middle to help communicate, and you would rotate the antenna till you were told it was pointed correctly, and you would tighten it down.

But TV was free, that is why they had commercials! Now, I pay more for cable services than I do for utilities, and most programs have twice as many commercials as they used to have.
We were upscale, had a rotator on our antenna!

When we first had rabbit ears, you'd get maybe three channels out of Erie (including both VHF and UHF), then my dad found an antenna tower, bought a pretty big antenna, and wired it all up. After that, we could get Pittsburgh (one or two channels), Erie (half dozen channels), one out of DuBois, and a few out of Cleveland.

I've thought about putting up a big digital antenna here, we are basically in the middle of Philadelphia, Harrisburg, and local to Reading and Allentown. Our RV has one and we get probably 20 channels on it sitting in a metal carport in our driveway.

Amazon FireTV is also pretty good if you have internet and a Prime account...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We were upscale, had a rotator on our antenna!

When we first had rabbit ears, you'd get maybe three channels out of Erie (including both VHF and UHF), then my dad found an antenna tower, bought a pretty big antenna, and wired it all up. After that, we could get Pittsburgh (one or two channels), Erie (half dozen channels), one out of DuBois, and a few out of Cleveland.

I've thought about putting up a big digital antenna here, we are basically in the middle of Philadelphia, Harrisburg, and local to Reading and Allentown. Our RV has one and we get probably 20 channels on it sitting in a metal carport in our driveway.

Amazon FireTV is also pretty good if you have internet and a Prime account...
Surprised you didnt get Buffalo from that area.
I grew up just outside of Cleveland and sometimes we could get Windsor, ON with our roof antenna. once I picked up Detroit with my little bedroom tv, my bedroom was in the attic.

My daughter is an Occupational Therapist, and my son in law is a Physical Therapist. They both said no way a bidet would ever be in their house. They have sever issues with fecal material being spread to adjacent parts of the body, then spread by clothing and hands. They are not as sanitary as you would think.

He must be a different type of physical therapist to me if that's his 'area' :crazy2:.

Every house in the area used to have an antenna on the roof, pointed in the direction of the Empire State Building, they broadcast the 7 channels we received. My upstate cousins generally only got 3 channels. We got 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 + 13. A TV set only had 13 channels. TV wire (2 strand) had a black weather resistant coating, and there was a flat section between the wires keeping them about 1/2" apart.

You would hook up the wiring, then one person would be on the roof and another watching the TV, and if you were lucky someone in the middle to help communicate, and you would rotate the antenna till you were told it was pointed correctly, and you would tighten it down.

But TV was free, that is why they had commercials! Now, I pay more for cable services than I do for utilities, and most programs have twice as many commercials as they used to have.

My grandfather had a tower and a rotator , it was awesome he got 4 channels , got to watch Star trek , then he got a color set , StarTrek was even more awesome !
My uncle built a real nice Heathkit stereo system , Peter Frampton was awesome , The Band , the Doobie Bros , Santana , all awesome !!!
As time went by big sat dishes were awesome !
I move to the big city work in retail electronics , cable , big screens , video disc , vhs, beta and big stereos ,,, All Awesome !!
Now , no tv or cable in the house for the last 7ish years , I couldn't tell you who does the tv news or what shows are hot and who the heck are the Kard's .
I do get all the info I want on the net or my smartphone , might not read books but do a lot of reading just the same .
Funny how things change after you find out how good scrounged Spruce really is :)

Some of you told me how to clean the glass with simply stove ashes and water several years ago, thanks for that...needed a relaxing end to the day (or maybe month)...
191a38c276a5e652bbacc5c17035ddfb.jpg

Split up last week's peppermint scrounge (the stuff that was in the trailer at least, the stuff in the truck is elsewhere) this morning, pretty easy fiskaring. The green rounds I split up small, the dry stuff I left larger or as rounds. Little bit of smoke around from fires up the valley.

23rd Nov 1.jpg

There's a meat ant nest in the background just by the baby pine that has been brutalised by deer. They're aggressive and clearly have an instinct to investigate anything that makes a thump, like an axe hitting wood with a few termites in it.

23rd Nov 2.jpg

They made a beeline for where I was splitting but they left me alone and started ferrying termites back to the nest for lunch, plus any other grub or caterpillar they could grab.

23rd Nov 3.jpg

About a face cord, hardly broke a sweat.

Some of you told me how to clean the glass with simply stove ashes and water several years ago, thanks for that...needed a relaxing end to the day (or maybe month)...
191a38c276a5e652bbacc5c17035ddfb.jpg

That's a cozy looking picture right there!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thank God the week is over. I had a great rumble with GM, these bastards right a policy and procedure manual that we are supposed to follow like the Bible, but then they don’t and think they can slip by. EFF that, I called them out on it and had our owner call them out. He also happens to be president of the north east owners association. I have a $20,000 Diesel engine claim that I submitted to their warranty center perfectly to a T as per their manual and they rejected it and want me to re submit a different way. Ummm no sir, when GM Audit Services comes in and they are. They are most definitely gonna pull my 10 biggest claims for review, if they see this claim paid and not submitted as per Policy And Procedure.... automatic full debit. So the battle is on with warranty, can’t wait for round 2 next week. Right now, I’m 10 deep on the 12 pack and trying to get to sleep early so I can hit that farm and bag that monster buck.

Did I ever tell you fellas, “I love my job”

people often ask, “How you doing Matt?”

“living the dream”

“oh that’s great Matt”

“sure it is, nightmares are dreams too”

hahahahaha.

the things we as men do to put our families in the lifestyle we always dreamed of....

Skipped the husky dealer today. Maybe tomorrow.

Went and bought an Ariens Deluxe 30" EFI then immediately decided it would suit my daughter's needs perfectly. Got the polymer skidders for it. Sposedly helps with the auto steering assist. I figured it would be a good idea at any rate. Won't tear up her thin blacktop or scuff the concrete in the garage.

The EFI motor started on the 4th pull (first gas in it). Then 1st pull warm and 2nd pull after 5 hours at about 25°F

I don't care for the ice auger chute crank or the dial for a throttle. So it went to her garage! Figure its all new to her so probs won't even notice those 2 little quirks. Can't wait for her to get home from work and pull her car into the garage. I know she'll be suprised and thrilled.

And no its not gonna get run into. I tucked around a corner by the rear entry door.

00u0u_jofdEcL5RYw_600x450.jpg

My sons GF is a graphic designer. Would think she'd be a tech nerd but... She uses a simple flip phone. Its a little funny when even my aunts in their 70's & 80's use smart phones. My guess is she gets overloaded with tech in her work life and likes to keep things simple.

Tech really changes work-life balance. I'm a sales rep for an equipment-financing company (basically leasing a lot of transport trucks and skid steers). I get calls at 11pm on a workday, and emails at all-hours 7 days a week. Nearly impossible for me to truly "take vacation" without at least handing the odd email or quote that comes through to my phone.

It's a good job, but there's definitely a trade-off involved, and a lot of that is related to technology.

Well I looked at the live rain radar on my phone in the afternoon and decided to cycle home early.
Now I’m on the World Wide Web conversing with people from all over the world.

When I drive in the traffic my phone tells me which is the quickest route based on all the collective live data from virtually every motorist on the road. And knows exactly where I am on earth at any time. The phone can show me aerial images of anywhere in the world in high resolution.

Ten years ago drones didn’t exist now you can buy a cheap drone that can automatically follow you skiing down a hill, missing any trees and transmit high resolution live footage to potentially billions of people around the wold all at once.

Today virtually every child who’s born deaf (in the developed world) and would have been deaf for the rest of their life now receives a cochlear implant and will live a normal hearing life.

There is now a commercial bionic eye implant on the market.

Yeh I think you may have missed a few things:)
What's up Jeff.
Talked with a woman last weekend, her son was born without an ear and couldn't hear :(. He now has a cochlear device of some sort, it was only on the outside of his head, she could adjust all the setting with an app on her phone :surprised3:. Yes quite the miracle if you ask me, and I'm sure she would agree :clap:.
Hope all is well.

Latest posts

Back