Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait … I want to give you contact info for my Grandkids …!!! Ha, Ha, Ha!!!

Only one Grandfather was around long enough to teach us much, but he taught us a lot. Fishing, how to work on engines, etc. He has been gone for a long time, but my brother and I still talk about him often enough. He had a big impact on our lives.

Wait … I want to give you contact info for my Grandkids …!!! Ha, Ha, Ha!!!

Only one Grandfather was around long enough to teach us much, but he taught us a lot. Fishing, how to work on engines, etc. He has been gone for a long time, but my brother and I still talk about him often enough. He had a big impact on our lives.

I hope that this grandfather has as much an impact on my life. He owned his own construction business for many years. Has his wheeler-dealer stories this day. Even though Dundas is "the city" now, he and I get along well, and share a lot of roots. I hope one day that I'm half the man he was in providing for his family.

Spent the day with my Opa (grandfather) helping him cut a big pile of logs that were cleared off my uncle's property. He works hard for an 83-year-old guy, but is starting to need a hand here and there. Doesn't have anything more powerful than an MS 180 either, so the MS 261 and MS 461 helped.

Perfect autumn day here in Ontario, after we thought we were going to be covered in snow until April. Roughly 5 degrees C, sunny with clouds. Opa taught me how to operate his old 4-ton Komatsu excavator, funnest thing I've done in a while.

View attachment 775319
View attachment 775320 View attachment 775321
Nice work!

What's up Jeff.
Talked with a woman last weekend, her son was born without an ear and couldn't hear :(. He now has a cochlear device of some sort, it was only on the outside of his head, she could adjust all the setting with an app on her phone :surprised3:. Yes quite the miracle if you ask me, and I'm sure she would agree :clap:.
Hope all is well.
Hi Chipper.... all is good here, the 14” light bar finally arrived last week, exactly a month after I ordered it. Didn’t get a chance to run it though been very busy. It’s starting to get pretty warm and to be honest the last thing I’m thinking about is cutting wood and it’s not even summer yet.
I hope you and your family are all well too..... Would you like to swap some of your cold for some of our heat.:yes:

Hi Chipper.... all is good here, the 14” light bar finally arrived last week, exactly a month after I ordered it. Didn’t get a chance to run it though been very busy. It’s starting to get pretty warm and to be honest the last thing I’m thinking about is cutting wood and it’s not even summer yet.
I hope you and your family are all well too..... Would you like to swap some of your cold for some of our heat.:yes:
Good evening Jeff.
That took a while :rare2:, but glad it came :clap:.
I ran a couple tanks thru the 201cm the other day, cut a couple buckets worth. I have a few more largish branches that came down the other day here when it was windy I need to cut up, as well as a few smaller dead standing and leaning black locust that I'll cut up at the same time to bring right into the house, just waiting until right before the next rain to let them dry out a bit(we had rain Thursday).
Sorry about the heat, I enjoy the cooler weather, it's 30 here now heading to 47 which is great working weather as long as it's not raining :).
Have a great week!

I watched some videos last night by mdavely. Realised I had my file in the tooth wrong. Going to try again today and hopefully have pics of better cutters later.
I’ve only square filed chain that was already square with that little (6?) sided file from Baileys. I can imagine the conversion would take a little more patience.

I’ve only square filed chain that was already square with that little (6?) sided file from Baileys. I can imagine the conversion would take a little more patience.
And many times more files :envy:.
If I was going to convert chains on the grinder it would be easier to start with milling chains, with a file youd need to take even more off though :surprised3:.
@MustangMike how many files do you go thru, what type do you prefer, and where do you get yours from.
I've enjoyed playing with the square, but still not into filing it if I dont have to. I would like a new simington for the adjustability, although I've gotten pretty good with the old one. I'd also like a camera that would help capture better pictures of chain I've done, its hard with my phone camera.

I use the PFERD 6 sided from Baileys, not the least expensive, but they work well and last well.

I don't find it hard to convert RS to RSL. You do not have to do the whole tooth at once, Convert the corner, and it will cut very well, then each time you file you will convert more of the tooth.

Always make sure the corner of the file is in the corner of the tooth.

The file should contact the strap on the far side, which helps to get your angles right. I like the factory angles (45* back, 45* angle, 45* down).

Make sure you stroke straight, that is more important than a long stroke. Once the tooth starts to be square, the file will fit like a glove.

I lock the tooth in place with a paint stirrer.

And many times more files :envy:.
If I was going to convert chains on the grinder it would be easier to start with milling chains, with a file youd need to take even more off though :surprised3:.
@MustangMike how many files do you go thru, what type do you prefer, and where do you get yours from.
I've enjoyed playing with the square, but still not into filing it if I dont have to. I would like a new simington for the adjustability, although I've gotten pretty good with the old one. I'd also like a camera that would help capture better pictures of chain I've done, its hard with my phone camera.
I dont plan to run square on everything so files probly won't be to bad. More then likely stick to round for firewood. Just something I want to try.

I use the PFERD 6 sided from Baileys, not the least expensive, but they work well and last well.

I don't find it hard to convert RS to RSL. You do not have to do the whole tooth at once, Convert the corner, and it will cut very well, then each time you file you will convert more of the tooth.

The file should contact the strap on the far side, which helps to get your angles right. I like the factory angles (45* back, 45* angle, 45* down).

Make sure you stroke straight, that is more important than a long stroke. Once the tooth starts to be square, the file will fit like a glove.

This pretty much sums up what I've heard from others.

Mostly filled the second rack after lunch then I redid one front brake on my truck and put new tires on both sides up front. I’m going to need one, maybe two tires for the back this winter but trying to squeak as much as I safely can out of the ones I have.

57D415A2-597D-403A-8EAE-8C5D5C3EA37A.jpeg

The 130 handled noodling duties for the dozen or so pieces that I too hastily had loaded this fall.
ACF976BF-59AD-4F27-991D-61659E5DD8E1.jpeg

Nice, I have some of those here.
To me if they are converted down just past where the depth gauges allow the tooth to go that's all that's needed.
Many file the gullet so far back that they remove anything below around .035, that's fine if you have a grinder and never touch them up in the field, but as you said once a tooth is fully converted the file fits nicely into it. Guys do the same thing when grinding round chain in reverse, they grind so low and into the gullet area that they loose the curve of the wheel in the upper portion of the top plate and their file will not touch the top plate when they file. Trying to follow what we've seen in pictures could be good if you have the equipment to do that, if you don't it can add a lot of work to the process :rare2:.

Mostly filled the second rack after lunch then I redid one front brake on my truck and put new tires on both sides up front. I’m going to need one, maybe two tires for the back this winter but trying to squeak as much as I safely can out of the ones I have.

View attachment 775501

The 130 handled noodling duties for the dozen or so pieces that I too hastily had loaded this fall.
View attachment 775502
What's the little opening to the left of the wood in the first picture.

Latest posts

Back