Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to say farewell to my old man today so tip a glass to the sunset in his honor.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Very sorry to hear Dan, I'll have a glass of Red Wine in his honor. All the best to you and your family.

The unfortunate thing about life is there is only one way out … and everyone has to take it! I hope he had a long and happy one.

Some times you get the bear,

So, not your bear? Belongs to the guy with the mangled leg?

There is a large one running around my property also, but likely not that big (maybe 500???). Time for a 348, 35 Whalen, 405 or hot loaded 45-70!!!

I remember a good friend of mine hit a bear with his 243 … said the bullet blew up on the leg bone. Luckily his friend was carrying a 338 Win Mag … that got it done!

So, not your bear? Belongs to the guy with the mangled leg?

There is a large one running around my property also, but likely not that big (maybe 500???). Time for a 348, 35 Whalen, 405 or hot loaded 45-70!!!

I remember a good friend of mine hit a bear with his 243 … said the bullet blew up on the leg bone. Luckily his friend was carrying a 338 Win Mag … that got it done!
The guy who guided my dad grizzly hunting said he guided a bowhunter for grizzly, "ONCE". The hunter stuck the grizzly with a decent shot and it started running towards them. He yelled to the archer to shoot it again and turned around and the hunter was running away. The guide luckily had a .30-06 BAR and emptied to gun into the grizzly which died a few feet from him.

My dad shot his kodiak with a 338 Win mag and even with several shots to the heart/lungs it took several minutes to expire. I do not know if this is still the procedure for big bears but the guides back then would advise a heavy load into the front shoulders to immobilize the bear then heart/lung shots to kill it.

I stopped to check on my neighbor this morning. His oldest daughter was there with her husband. They had to watch the remains of the home all night as it did reignite within the house and also lit the wood pile on fire outside. Really a sad sight, the only thing recognizable was the gun safe and the hearth/chimney.

I stopped to check on my neighbor this morning. His oldest daughter was there with her husband. They had to watch the remains of the home all night as it did reignite within the house and also lit the wood pile on fire outside. Really a sad sight, the only thing recognizable was the gun safe and the hearth/chimney.

The house I'm living in was the victim of Arson, but luckily it was before I moved in, but I feel for your neighbor. It was devastating getting that call from my future neighbor at 5:30 am "Mike, I don't know how to tell you this, but your house is burning down". I had spent months working on it every W/E and every evening after work (I would go over with my Coleman Lantern and do work). It was devastating, they steal a piece of your soul. It is not just money, it is a piece of your life you will never get back.

Luckily, no one was hurt and I did not loose any personal items other than my tools, but it was still devastating. Then, a few years later, I went through the divorce, and it was almost more than I could take. It took a long time for me to recover.

House fire like that's about as rough as it gets. Very much like losing a loved one.

The guy who guided my dad grizzly hunting said he guided a bowhunter for grizzly, "ONCE". The hunter stuck the grizzly with a decent shot and it started running towards them. He yelled to the archer to shoot it again and turned around and the hunter was running away. The guide luckily had a .30-06 BAR and emptied to gun into the grizzly which died a few feet from him.

My dad shot his kodiak with a 338 Win mag and even with several shots to the heart/lungs it took several minutes to expire. I do not know if this is still the procedure for big bears but the guides back then would advise a heavy load into the front shoulders to immobilize the bear then heart/lung shots to kill it.
My standard shot placement has always been a head shot. In other words, if I don't have a clean shot, the bear keeps running. With big bears, they don't run, they walk. They also don't climb trees, they don't have to. This bear could have killed every dog on it. That's one reason you don't use catch dogs to hunt bear. Hounds are smarter than most give them credit. They will catch a small bear, but usually comes at a huge cost. A 100lb bear can whoop a pack of dogs. A bear that wont run or climb, dogs will just bay at its butt. The hunter shot this bear in the neck with a 454 casull from about 10yrds away. I was about 300 yrds away. The bullet didn't break the bears neck, to much fat. A dog ran in and was caught by the bear. The shooter grabbed the dog pulling it away from the bear and the bear grabbed him by the leg. He shot the bear in the head killing it instantly, but then had to pry the bears jaws open to get his leg out. When the bear was skinned out there was a layer of fat that a 8in filet knife wouldnt reach thru. I have seen several bears shot in the shoulder when the bullet didn't penetrate into the body cavity. We had a bear a couple days later that was shot with a high power bolt action rifle thru the gut. Don't know caliber but suspect 7mm08. The bear weighed 269lbs and it kept running after being shot, even tho the bullet passed all the way thru. It was later killed with a head shot from a 45/70. Body shots might be fine for someone hunting from a stand, but doing so hunting with hounds will just get your dogs killed. Pass thru shots with high power ammo is another problem when hunting with dogs. If the bullet has enough power to pass thru after a shoulder shot, you stand the risk of hitting a dog. Its not every day you get a shot at a 760lb bear. My 44mag has never let me down, but the biggest bear I have killed was a 257lb sow. One head shot and it was dead in its tracks. The area we now hunt seems to have plenty of much larger bear than my biggest kill and it is making me second guess and wanting something bigger to shoot with.

I can see where you are coming from, hunting with dogs is a different game totally. Stalking kodiaks or grizzlies is where the shoulder shot is warranted. Also most people do not want to destroy the skull with a head shot but that is certainly understandable if life and limb comes into play.

If I ever got into hunting big bear, I would probably use a 375 H&H. Holland and Holland (ironically a family name of mine) did extensive work with the 375 cartridge to increase case extractability in extreme climates which is something that the straight cased/heavily flared modern magnum cases lack.

The house I'm living in was the victim of Arson, but luckily it was before I moved in, but I feel for your neighbor. It was devastating getting that call from my future neighbor at 5:30 am "Mike, I don't know how to tell you this, but your house is burning down". I had spent months working on it every W/E and every evening after work (I would go over with my Coleman Lantern and do work). It was devastating, they steal a piece of your soul. It is not just money, it is a piece of your life you will never get back.

Luckily, no one was hurt and I did not loose any personal items other than my tools, but it was still devastating. Then, a few years later, I went through the divorce, and it was almost more than I could take. It took a long time for me to recover.

House fire like that's about as rough as it gets. Very much like losing a loved one.
I cannot imagine what they are going through...To literally lose everything. His shop and the outbuildings are safe so as a contractor he did not lose his tools and equipment but they had been in that house for 35 years. And they are raising their 8,10, and 12 year old grandchildren and that home is the only stability those kids have ever known.

Mike that sucks, what a ****** deal. There was an arson up here for a few years that burned down a church, a historic building, and several other things in a small area. After a suicide near my old house there were no more fires.

Back