Stihl 028 AV for $100?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorj77

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Came across an opportunity today to buy a 028 AV for $100. Original owner passed and wife is cleaning house. She doesn't recall exactly when he bought it but just remembers its been a long while. It has the original 18in bar (used but in great shape), sharpening tools & case. Seemed to have good compression but maybe a leaky oiler. Supposedly last time it was used was about 6mo ago, so it had fairly fresh gas. Gave it a try and started right up on 3rd pull with no prime.

For the price it seems too good to be true for a Stihl. But was this a popular model? Easy to get parts for? I only use my saws for light work around the house, fire wood when camping...etc stuff like that.

A Benjamin is a decent buy for a 45cc saw that is one of the most durable models produced by Stihl.

I can move a good one on C’list for $200 in my neighborhood.

c42021d84da938cb505613b5f9d1457b.jpg

Good to know. Yeah its intact and appears nothing is missing. I've always wanted a Stihl but frankly couldn't justify the cost so I resorted to Mccullochs. I love my 610 for cutting firewood. But its heavy, and a pig on gas. But I kept it cause it just never fails. But I've been yearning for something a little lighter and easy to start.

I think I'm going to pick it up.

There were some extra seals and caps in the box, plus a service tag from 2012. Looks like new air filter, clean it up, fix a vent line and the kill switch. So figured what the hell, can't hurt to ask. got it for $90

Push fresh gas and oil in it, runs great

M0vcnWV.jpg

7XoLtWp.jpg

nc9YRKF.jpg

5yjA3Hx.jpg

Thanks. this whole venture started off with buying a used gas leaf blower and turned into 'what else do you have'. Supposedly there are extra boxes of factory chains buried somewhere. I'll get a phone call when they turn up. But for the leaf blower and the saw, $120 in total today, think I did alright

:happybanana:

The 028 stands as my overall favorite Sthil to date, great saw, I said great saw.

I've moved to Echo recently but mainly do to cost.

Great saw, mine was $35 but needed full rebuild. Love the saw. I woulda paid $100 for mine in a minute if it ran. Good score.

I bought 3 028s and a 026 that where all low compression at a action for 85$ everyone of them looked straight gased. I put farmertec 028 super tops on them sold two of the 028s for 150 a piece with no bars. I ended up making about 80 bucks and got two awesome firewood saws. 028 is probaly my favorite firewood saw for smaller stuff. The 028 I kept I got down to .018 squish and widened intake and exhaust. Only problem I have with it is it plugs up with chips when cutting. I guess it’s not a bad thing.

You definitely got a good deal.

Ha, good catch. Yeah originally the bar was upside down, no biggie, but when I flipped it, I forgot about the chain direction. I fixed it, but not until after I posted the pictures DURP!

Back